Pedulla 5 came yesterday. . . thoughts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, May 23, 2002.

1. Got a Pedulla Rapture 5-string yesterday (the original, one-pickup kind, not the one with J-style pickups) as part of a trade.

My initial impressions were not good, only because the B-string sounded horrible with the taperwound string that came with the bass. I changed it to a fully-wound string, fixed the string height and intonation, and tried again. NOW I'm happy, happy, happy.

This bass is very lively, but tight-sounding. The bass can sound super-clean and "scoopy" with the bass and treble boosted and the "Thunderguts" switch off. However, it can also growl like a grizzly with the controls flat and the "Thunderguts" engaged. Very interesting: I used to have a Pedulla Thunderbolt 5 (which is now hanging on the wall at Guitar Villa) which I found to be quite unsatisfying and thin-sounding, especially for slap. This Rapture is their ostensibly "lower" model, and only has the one pickup instead of two soapbars, but I think this bass is much better-sounding. Hmmm. . .
  2. Pedulla :mad:

Their basses rule, but their CS sucks *** ! i mailed them 3 times about avaiability in Holland, and got 0 replies.. :mad:

so instead of going for a pedulla.. i'm now going for a warwick.. had their CS actually replied on my mail, i might have bought a Pedulla..

bunch of no good chimps over there :mad:
  3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Yea, pedulla has really fallin in the past years. Their sells have fallin, resale has fallin and customer service is just crap. Thats what I hear the most from people is how rude they are and unwilling to communicate. They have a real problem with talking down to players instead of working with musician's.

Good luck with the warwick!
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Just a note concerning Pedulla's CS;
    I am distressed to see such sweeping statements about their service based on one incident. I've found them to be some of the most personable and helpful in the business...

Email correspondence scares me. You have no way of confirming that it went through; maybe they never got the messages.
    Before totally ruling them out (or disparaging their service quality), I'd try get in touch with them another way.

I'd be glad to try to help get them in touch with you. I just don't think you can write off a company based on their email practices, it might not have been their fault at all.

I just saw Brian's post...
    come on guys, this is the kind of stuff that started all the Ken Smith bashing. Let's watch what kind of info we're passing on.

Pedulla has gone out of their way to help me. Unless you have some substantiated facts, this kind of second hand report is very dangerous.

There's always room for improvement, and I'm not saying accidents don't happen. I'm just saying my experience and those of everyone I know are the complete opposite of what is described in this thread.
    Am I the only one?
  5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Dealer, Builder
    I'm not going off of his statement about the e-mails.

I've just had this brought up to me by a number of players. I do think pedulla builds a nice basses. I believe they use to be better then they are today or maybe other luthier's have just gotten better and passed them up. Not sure, but I'm just expressing by opinion and other's that have talked to me about this issue with pedulla.

Obvious the bass is whats most important not the people selling it.
  6. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Point taken, Brian;
    Hope I didn't sound too hostile- I'm just a little paranoid about "I heard so-and-so" type reports.
    This forum is very useful and hearing other peoples opinions can be quite informative. I like to be sure it's firsthand experience though, because lots of folks just repeat rumors that aren't substantiated.

I just figured I'd speak up and report my experiences, as everyone else will no doubt share theirs. Mine has been good. When I called about having some work done on a Pentabuzz, they were more than accomodating. They responded very quickly, and even followed up later (without my prompting).

As long as opinions are based on verifiable facts/incidents, I'm all for hearing them. This can be a good resource. I just like to know that they're not hearsay, and I think that's only fair to the company too.
    thanks for your input
  7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I have had a few emails back and forth with Pedulla. Christine has always been prompt and courteous in answering.
  8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Dealer, Builder

I wasn't trying to bash, I was just agreeing with the individuals that had problem's and letting them know that there where others that had been unhappy and had problem's.

I believe you can find someone that has tried to contact or owned a bass from just about every builder/company out there and had a problem of some sort. Not everyone can be perfect.

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Chritine is great. I never had a better response from any vendor than Pedulla. She's always gotten back to me within a day by e-mail. I have never seen a problem.

My Pentabuzz is one of the greatest basses ever made. It is surely one of the most distinctive looking and sounding basses in production today. It is the standard for a high quality fretless.

We all have our opinions. I'm sure Pedulla can withstand a few nay sayers.
  10. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Ain't that the truth! Things can go wrong anywhere! It's how they deal with it (or fail to) that counts.

Jordan, congrats! Enjoy your bass. Didn't mean to hijack your whoo-hoo as it were...
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, Jordan! I have the J2 model, and I love it! Best 5 string Jazz type I have ever played, except for Sadowsky.

As far as customer service, I have emailed Pedulla 3 times and always got a response back from Christine with 24 hours.

I also called one time, to get the manufacturing date of a used PentaBuzz, and she looked up the date for me on the spot, I did not have to wait for a callback.
  12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've asked Christine from Pedulla several questions vai e-mail, and received the answers in full detail within 24 hours. She was also nice enough to throw in a full catalog, color chart, and review package mailed first class for no charge. I'd say that the negative experiences posted are the exceptions, and not the rule.

Jsonnenblick - beautiful bass! The Rapture is one on top of my short list of "dream basses." If I had the means and opportunity to get a 2k+ bass, the Rapture J-5 2000 would be my choice. :D
  13. maybe she just didn't know the answer to my question.. but still.. SOME reply is better than NONE..

but still.. if anyone can get me the answer to the question of where to get a pedulla in Holland, i'd surely appreciate it..

the company that used to import quit importing them, coz they didn't sell enough pedulla's to make it worthwhile.. so i just want to know if there are new resellers in Holland, belgium or Germany.. and how much i could expect to pay for a Tunderbass ET5..
  14. Hey AllodoX,

you should email the guy from Bassmatters (you know the shop in Nijmegen). According to his page he sells Sadowsky, Mike Lull, Zon, Celinder, Ken Smith, Lakland, Modulus, MTD, Fender, Musicman, Warwick, Bassline, André van der End, Patrick Koopman, Collier, Steinberger, Gibson/Epiphone, Heins, Yamaha, Ibanez, Cort, Danelectro, Peavey, Washburn, Stud. It also says that he always got brands like F-bass and Fodera and lot's more in stock.

I know Pedulla isn't mentioned, but if he is able to get all those basses, I'm pretty sure he would also be able to get a Pedulla for you or maybe he knows a shop (in holland) that has them in stock, maybe he has got one in the shop himself.....
  15. I already called Paul. he said the same thing as the local shop did.. " yeah they quit importing them "
  16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I like the Raptures, alot. COngrats. I tried one, but I'm a big (in other words, fat. ;)) guy. It looks very small on me.
  17. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I've had no problem with email contact with Christine at Pedulla. And when I had specific technical questions that I sent in an email, Michael Pedulla called me at home to discuss my questions with me. I was impressed. I did have a pot go bad in my MVP custom and that it what I talked to Mike about - they prefer to do the work, but they sent me a new pot and I installed it (no charge of course). My bass was probably less than 2 years old when this happened.
  18. There could be another reason: spam.

I run my own web and mail servers, and block a large number of sites outside the USA because of the tremendous amount of spam I get from overseas. If your ISP is listed in one of the many black hole lists, your mail will not get through to anybody who subscribes to those lists.

I block more than 1,000 attempts every 24 hours from my mail servers. I've grown so tired of getting spammed from Europe and Asia, I block entire subnets when a new spammer gets through. I've also blocked several huge spam houses in the USA. For example, VERIO is the king of the USA spam houses, and I don't give a damn who is trying to send me mail from that ISP.. I block every single VERIO subnet I can identify.

If Pedulla's ISP is on a blocked list, or is subscribing to the black hole lists, your mail might be getting blocked. Email is not a guaranteed delivery mechanism, so I'd try another means of contact before trashing them as totally unreliable. Especially if other emails in different areas are getting through, and you are not.
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I love Pedulla. Pentabuzz's are simply my favorite fretli out there, and teh Thubderbolt w/ 19mm string spacing is STILL a awesome 5er. I've e-mailed them before about colors, and got an e-mail back the same day! I think they are great people, they make greate basses.
  20. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL

that's exactly my point. I don't know that this is Pedulla's fault.

Allodox, if you wouldn't mind sending me your info, I'd be glad to forward it to Pedulla and see what happens. I've never had trouble getting thru, so if you don't mind me acting as go between, just PM or email your message to me and I'll pass it along.