1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedulla and Doug Johns

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jjk2007, Jan 20, 2012.

1. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Bass Systems
    Here is one of several vids you can find on YouTube with Doug Johns (one of my favs) showing off the different Pedulla basses. I've always wanted an MVP 5, and this just sent the GAS level through the roof.

2. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Like the player. But the basses really don't sound great to me. I mean listen to this. Slap tone sounds like somebody banging kitchen pans.

3. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Bass Systems
    I hear where you're coming from. But to me, I think the camera mic/hollow sounding room is helping emphasize some of that "kitchen pans" type of effect. I haven't even listened to all the clips, but I don't like either of these compared to the MVP clips myself. And hey, different strokes for different folks. :bassist:

4. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I can't believe some of those are linked to from the Pedulla website. Really don't serve the reputation well. You can actually here pickup buzz in one of the videos.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Doug Johns sounds great! That P/J slap tone us his thing and the only person who arguably works it better than his is Victor Wooten.

6. Modulus1906

Modulus1906

May 5, 2009
    I have a Pedulla Thunderbass that made me get rid of a $9,000 Alembic that I had only for a few months. I can't get any sounds resembling "pots and pans" no matter how hard I try. I love Pedullas. Go figure

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  8. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Don't get me wrong. I've got nothing against Pedulla basses. Heck. I'm Pedulla club member #137. But I just sold my Pedulla Thunderbass this week. Didn't cope well with the 19mm string spacing.

I'm just saying the sound in the videos of John playing the Thunderbolt and Nuance in particular don't do the basses justice. You can hear pickup buzz in the Thinderbolt videos. And these things are linked to from the Pedulla Web site. Not the quality that Pedulla deserves.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Doug Johns and Mike Pedulla are both tops in my book. Just check out my avatar! :D