Pedulla, anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I never see anyone really giving these basses their due (or did I miss that?) I know a few of you guys own them, Embellisher, Munji, I'm looking at you guys... but I never hear much about Pedulla basses. Rember that huge favorite bass company thread? Three people voted for Pedulla, I was one of them (have been ousted by another, but that's a different thread)

Which I think is unfortunate. I've played dozens at various GCs, and music shops, and they consitently amaze me to no end. Incredible tone, spectacular playability, and heck, they look nice too. On 5+ models, the Bs are amazing (IMO) especially for 34" scale. Not only that, but on the Thunderbolt and Thunderbass have a Thunderguts switch, which blows me away, it makes those things growl like no tommorrow. Personally, if I were to get a Fiver tomomorow, I'd get a Pedulla Thunderbolt 5 with the wide string spacing. (Or maybe a Modulus 5, but again, that's another thread)

Do your GAS a favor,

Anyone else up for a Pedulla?
  2. I dig. I've owned two--Thunderbolt 5 with the 2 band EQ and Thunderbolt 6. Good basses; would have no problem still owning them. I just like Brubakers a little bit better.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd kill to try a Tbolt 6er...or, heck if I had the money, a 7! But that'd be custom and big bucks I don't have...
  4. My Bolt 6 was a AAA model in peacock blue and I bought it NOS from Alabama for $1100! The 5 was trans charcoal and I bought it from Bass Palace for $900 and sold it back when the market was horrible for $749!
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Words cannot convey how much I hate you right now.;):D:p
  6. My first case of GAS was a RIC, my second was a Pedulla Buzz 4. There is not enough I can say about this bass, I have about ten basses and the Pedulla is still my favorite. The thing is light, great neck, looks great and sounds incredible.
    I don't know why they go unnoticed but that is the problem of the people who don't own one.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The MVP and Buzz are right up there with most of the respected boutique makes IMHO in fit, finish, quality and tone.

I have a Rapture J2 5, and while I don't like it as much as my Zon or my Cirrus Custom, it is a great J style 5 string with a very good B for a 34" bass(better than a lot of 35" B's) that works perfectly for the oldies gig. And this is the entry level Pedulla, vs. Peavey's top of the line and Zon's next to the top of the line.

Only negative about Pedulla is that if you buy new and decide you don't want it later on, the resale value is not that great.
  8. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    dear embellisher the resale factor is very important when buying a new bass. unfortunately here in itly pedulla are really expensive in the used market too. as said in other threads i was completely amazed when i tried a pedulla MVP5. it is the best bass i have ever played, in every sense. i loved it expeciallt tonewise. flawless construction and big neck. i can't afford one and for the music style i play i don't really need a so good bass, but if in the future i'll need an high end bass, pedulla MVP5 will be one of the firsts i'll look for!
  9. Pedulla rapture ???

* unF *

cut it out.. you're making me all arroused :D
  10. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I just acquired a used Pentabuzz and all other fretless will are now on hiatus. So far, it's the ultimate f'less I've come across.
    A few months ago I tried all the f'lesses(fretli?) at Bass Central and narrowed it down to F and Pedulla.
    The Penta does the Hi-fi thing a little better, the F was like a classic Jazz with everything done right.
    Just so happens I found a deal on a Pedulla first.

If you haven't played a Buzz yet, please do so if you ever see one. The epoxied board is great, you can slap the heck out of those rounds...
    everything about the build quality is first rate. The tone with the Barts is phenomenal.
    I think my fretless gas is cured (for a while, let's be realistic...). I do need a better cab now though...

Now if I can just record a few tunes with it.

there's a not-so-good picture of it @

me likey penta!!!!
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Xush, your fretless GAS is cured, huh? Whatever you do, don't play a Zon Sonus Custom or Legacy fretless. You may get GAS again.

I had GAS for a Pentabuzz for almost 20 years, since I saw the first advertisement for one in Guitar Player.

When I finally had the money to buy one, I ran across a used Zon fretless 5. As much as I love the Pentabuzz, I had to pick the Zon over it. But don't get me wrong, the Zon is the only fretless that I've ever played that I like more than the Pentabuzz.
  12. played an mvp about 8 yrs ago...... loved the badass tone from hell (sheeesh!!!) and playability.

played a thunder @ GC 3 wks ago.... action wasn't adjusted to my taste, but the tone.....

it sounded LIKE GOD!!!!! :eek:

i was hyperventilating for about an hour after i played this bass. i could not believe the tone.... too good to be true, must have been a wet dream or something:oops:
  13. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I have a PentzBuzz that just rules. I have the Barts P/J setup and added the NTMB so that I can tweak the midrange. Definitely consider this bass a "keeper". Of course, that Ken Lawrence Chamnerbass keeps callin' my name.
  14. I have two Pedullas. Good lord, they're nice. When I was looking around for my first really nice bass, I ended up with a Thunderbass 4-string. To this day, it has the sweetest tone of any bass I've ever played. It's like a cool dark well, full of maple syrup.

Then, when I wanted a 5-string, I ended up with the Rapture J2. It is extremely lively and versatile. Both are very, very easy to play. Both also have amazing slap sounds.

The versatility of the Rapture makes me sad, because rationally, I ought to sell the Thunderbass now. If anyone wants it, pictures are here

The pretty pictures are of a bass with the same specs. The un-pretty pictures are of my actual bass, which is in tip-top shape and has that Thunderguts thing.

Mail me to discuss. $1500 was my idea.
  15. :D As far as looks that MVP is a beaut. But how do they play. Here in old Warner Robins we don't have the luxury of extensive equipment selection. Although one store does sell Warwick. But that bass
    looks extremely comfortable.
  16. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I've never owned one but have played a few and all have been very nice basses. Maybe one day.
  17. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I own a Pentabuzz too and when I think fretless tone, I think of this bass. It just has that awesome growl and "mwah" that everyone speaks of. I got mine used that has the P/J combination and the original owner had LA Bass Exchange put a new Bart preamp in it with the 3 position mid switch and mid boost knob. Now I have the bass/treb on a stack pot with no additional holes drilled. I encourage any Buzz owners to check this out! Much more flexibility for cutting thru.

18. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Funny you should mention....
    I've played Gard's Zon, and I played a Legacy in NY.
    I was hoping they'd do it for me, but I guess that's where personal preference comes in.
    Not that I'd refuse one if a deal shows up...
    Wals and Laklands are nice too...
  19. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    I had a Thuner 5 once. It had a perfect neck and balanece. The workmanship was great. The sound was a little to thick in the studio. I am a 100% finger player. They would probable be just heaven for a picker.
  20. Oh yeah, last weekend I was at GC, and they had a Lakland 55-94 and a Pedulla Rapture J2, so I could A/B them. The Lakland was your typical nice modern bass. Although I'll go ahead and say the B string was perfect. Equally playable as the E string. The Rapture to me though had a substantially better sound. Where the Lakland was transparent, the Rapture had some magic to it.