Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Jan 15, 2006.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My local music store has recently become a Pedulla dealer, so yesterday I finally got around to going and checking to see what they had gotten in.

They had 3 of them still in stock, 2 of them had sold right away (2 Buzz models, which I would've liked to try out). Anyway, they had 2 Thunderbolt 5's, one fretless and one fretted. They also had a Rapture J2 as well.

I have never spent much time or paid much attention to Pedulla's before, but all I have to say now is "WOW".:) The fretless had the most beautiful birdseye maple board that I have ever seen, and the top wood was equally as stunning. The fretted T-bolt had what looked to be something like a black cherry burst over flame maple, and was stunning as well. The Rapture was pretty plain, natural finish maple body with a tortoise shell pickguard, and had a birdseye maple board on it.

After playing these basses, I cannot believe there is not more talk of them here. I didn't play the fretless plugged in, but I did spend some time with the fretted Thunderbolt and the Rapture. Needless to say, I am having serious gas for a new Pedulla now. In fact, I just about had them put the Rapture on hold for me. They both just about played themselves--the neck shape coupled with the low setup that both of them had made them totally effortless to play. I spent more time with the Rapture, for some reason that bass seemed to just feel and sound perfect to me. To me, it was the perfect definition of what I want in a 5 string jazz bass.

I have no real point to all of this, just thought I would share. And after recovering from my new Roscoe purchase, I think I know what my next bass is going to be after that.

2. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Pedulla's are nice basses in my experience. I've never owned one, but always admired them. I would love to have a Buzz if I ever had the cash laying around for one.

3. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    I've never even seen one in the flesh but if the Buzz sounds just half as good as it looks it must be a damn good bass. I have GAS for one even though I don't even know what it sounds like!

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I always thought they looked cool, I love the shape of the Buzz because it reminds me of those old semi-hollow basses, one of my favourite bass shapes ever. Are they really that dark-sounding due to the Bartolini pickups?

5. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I've wanted a Pedulla since I first played one in 1984. I owned a Thunderbass 5 for a while and it was a great bass...but...the one thing I wasn't crazy about were the electronics. It was something of a one trick pony, tone wise (it had volume, pan, tone and the thunderguts switch). If I were to buy another one, I would have a 3 band pre amp installed.

Build quality is excellent. Mike's basses balance well, the fit and finish is incredible, just an incredible bass overall. If I really wanted a jazz, I'd buy a Rapture. For fretless, the Buzz is king. And for a 34 inch scale length, the 5 strings have a great B string.

6. I've owned a Pedulla Rapture and was impressed by the craftsmanship but did not like the sound I was getting out of it.

It could possibly be chalked up to the sound of the Bartolini, but who knows. I'm not even sure what the pre was on the thing but it just was not what I was looking for.

Edit: Here's a picture of Mike's fine work - [​IMG]

7. my bass teacher is selling his.. I wanna buy it :(

8. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That Rapture that marcusalan posted is pretty close to the color of the fretted Thunderbolt that the store has in stock.

The T-Bolt was an awesome playing bass, but for some reason, I preferred the tone of the Rapture. I personally like the sound of the Bart J pups in it, and the two band preamp seemed to be quite versatile.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sometimes I wish I still had my Rapture J2 fiver. It was beautiful, and playability was very good. But the Bart Js and preamp were just too dark for me. If I still had it, it would have to get in line behind my Nordstrand, Zon, Cirrus, Fender Jazz Geddy Lee, and Lakland D55-01 for playing time.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I have owned two.
    Jazz 2000 5-string.
    And a Buzz fretless.
    Mike's basses are made great.
    But I just wish, he would be more customer friendly.
    As far as pickups, and options, that buyer would like?
    I called requesting, pickups I like, scale, and string options.
    EADGC, or EADGCF.
    I feel he would sell more basses, If he took, say the Roscoe,
    or Stambaugh, and Fodera ideal of giving customer what we want.

11. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I think the main reason I liked it so much was that it seemed to stray away, tone-wise, from my basses. I really liked the darker sound that Jeff mentioned.

But, it'll be awhile before I would drop the cash down for one, if I decide to. I need to recover from the Roscoe purchase first, then upgrade my rig (going Eden, I think), then maybe I can consider it more seriously.:)

12. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    i've owned a few pedullas and have loved everyone but sold them for various reasons. there are two in particular i wish i still had- a rapture j2 and the last sigle pu rapture i sold. that bass was the bomb. i liked the j2 barts. imo, they are the best sounding j's around.

13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I just bought a used Rapture a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty happy with it. I love the neck on it... it's super fast, and the low B is pretty killer. Pedullas definitely don't get as much attention as they deserve around here.

14. I have two Pedullas. A Thunderbass ET5 as soon as it came out because it was the only 5 string at the time that had a great B string and a 34" scale.
    It's still a killer bass.

I also bought a Buzz at the same time and still use it. However the neck finish needs to be recoated so and Pedulla is not cheap at doing that work.

Two great basses.

15. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I've only played a thunderbolt 6, and a Rapture 5 and I liked the necks quite a bit on both, but I the sound of the Rapture appealed to me more than the Thunderbolt. Electronics? IDK

Also, I was quite impressed with the Rapture's balance, very comfortable to play.

16. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i owned a black mvp fretted 6 about 11 years ago, it was an amazing instrument, great action and a very piano-like quality. i always preferred the mvp bodies, quite a bit more than the rapture or newer models. love the rounded body, and liquid cutaways...very vivid colours and amazing woodgrains...
    i recall seeing one for the first time in a magazine add with mark egan...speaking of which, i think i'll use the 'ol net and see what he's been up to...
    cheers doug

17. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Yeah, they are very nice.

Damn, I was pretty much out of my G.A.S. phase...now look what you've done!

:scowl:

18. Yep, I got a MVP fretted four string in 1987. It was the only bass I used until I replaced it with a Lakland 55-94 in 1999.

Great bass.

19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The J2 sounds better in the shop, but the thunderbolt will sound better with the band. Trust me on this one. I sold a Pedulla ET-6 to get a rapture J2 5 string, and it was perhaps the worst trade I've ever made.

The ET-6 didn't really look the part for a rock band, but it sounded great. The rapture was real nice, but just didn't have the punch and authority I needed for rock, it tended to get lost in mixes. In the studio it was really pretty good, but live with a band the thunder electronics own it.

A nice used T-5 or ET-5 is a permanent fixture on my GAS list.

20. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I had a T-Bolt 5 that still remains near the top of the list of basses I wish I had never sold. I found the tone very usefull in a variety of situations and would agree in a band situatons in definitely carried its weight. The only drawback about my particular bass was that it was very unforgiving with string life. The moment, and I do mean the moment the strings started to die the tone seemed to go right with it. I found I had to replace strings more often on this bass then any I had ever owned. I was giging a ton when I owned it, and I couldn't get more than two weeks out of a set. I wouldn't have minded it all that much except they would often go "bad" during a gig. Alas my tone would go to hell just as quick. All that aside, I would love to have that one back!