Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krinkle5, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Krinkle5

Krinkle5

Feb 16, 2006
    I saw a Pedulla Bass at a local guitar center I believe it is the rapture RB5, also they had a pentabuzz but I liked the rapture better, it is the first time I play a pedulla bass. the price tag on the rapture was 2000 dollars, are they really worth all that money? I know they are hand made here in the US but i dont know much about them. I can may be get a better deal than that. please let me know what you guys think about these basses. :help:

2. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    I've been playing Pedulla (an MVP) exclusively for over 10 years now. Of course, everyone has unique tastes, and what I like may be different from you.

But over the last 30 years I've tried nearly everything (Fender, G&L, Gibson, Music Man/Ernie Ball, Yamaha, Alembic, Ibanez, Ric) and nothing has felt as sweet or as perfect as my Pedulla.

It cost a little money. How much is absolute musical contentment worth?

I've never looked back.

3. I bought & returned a Rapture(just didn't 'fit' me)& later, a Thunderbass ET 5(same reason). Quality, finish, etc. were very nice; worth it if it floats your boat. I recently played a Pentabuzz(Jeff Schmidt's righty-strung lefty); as awkward as that was, the thing absolutely played itself. VERY nice- wish I could justify having a Penta- or Hexabuzz in my quiver...

4. IMO, whether or not the Rapture is worth the money is up to you.

I've had a Rapture 5 (single pickup) since 1997, and it is my main bass. Overall, IMO, it is a good sounding, easy playing instrument, with an excellent low B for 34" scale. In a way, I liken it to sort of a more refined version of a Stingray 5.

Have you tried both the single pickup and J2 models?

5. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Are these graphite instruments?

6. Stock Peds are all-wood; I don't know of any aftermarket graphite necks for them, but I don't get out much...

7. I played a Pedulla 5 string fretless at a Guitar Center last year. It was one of the nicest feeling basses I've ever played and sounded just as good. It was pretty pricey though (something like 1200, used), but that's to be expected I guess.

8. 1200 is on the low end for a used Pedulla, IME.

9. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    ah. for some reason i always thought they were graphite.. probably cos they remind me of Zon.

10. I've not owned one but I've played a pentabuzz and a Rapture, and I believe they are worth every penny. Amazing sound, action, and attention to detail from what I've seen. I'd love to own one someday.

11. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I love my Pedulla Thunderbass T5. It's really really really easy to play on, and the tone is thick deep and smooth.

that said, the general rule of thumb for shopping at guitar center is haggling with the sales rep for as much time as you have to get a couple hundred dollars off the tag price (or more for the higher priced items). you definitely don't want to pay any tag price at guitar center for instruments over a grand.

12. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Rapture 5 is one smoking bass. Killer B IMHO. Fit and finish has always been top shelf to my eye. GC seems to be the major dealer for them which has its own pros and cons depending on your take on GC. BassCentral is a dealer as well. I would drop $2000 on a Rapture in a second if I had the cash; the pentabuzz is another ax I would jump on if the funds came my way. Play one and see for yourself....the Bart pups in the Pedullas have there own sound. To your ear go the spoils....:D

13. My Thunderbass ET5 is awesome. It feels great, looks great and sounds even better. I had a Pedulla Buzz 4 string a few years ago. I just couldn't get used to the body shape, it was very uncomfortable for me to play but it sounded great.

14. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Pedullas are really cool basses. I tried a pentabuzz fretless before and it was really nice. IMO, they are a little over priced, though. But if you really liked the pedulla than get it. I suggest looking around a little more though. Check out everything you can get for around $2k.

www.fbbcustom.com

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tihnk they are worth the money. Although, they arent my cup of tea.

16. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    FWIW, I own a Pedulla Thunderbolt and a Buzz. I ordered both new at my local GC. I have also had the opportunity to go to the Pedulla shop (less than an hour's drive) on two occasions. I think most people here would agree that Mike builds great basses and his customer service is unmatched. For some reason, the resale value doesn't seem to hold up very well (check Ebay and you'll see what I mean). However, this is of no concern to me as I do not intend to sell my Pedullas-ever!

:D

17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I love the feel of my Rapture.

18. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I love my Thunderbass ET5, just wish it was a four string.

19. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    i've owned quite few pedullas and all were very nice. i wish i still had 2 of them in particular.

20. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    i want the 6 string thunder fretless on ebay right now.