1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedulla Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kreed, Jun 10, 2007.

1. kreed

kreed

Oct 18, 2005
    Singapore
    Well, I've just found from watching some old videos that the old Hillsong bassist (love his tone from "Everything that has breath") plays a Pedulla Pentabuzz..so i was just wondering if u guys could name some pros and cons of the pentabuzz?

Thanks!

2. Pros: Just about everything - Wood selection, construction, electronics, the classic Pedulla epoxy coating and fretless tone, their uber-comfy slight "V" neck shape, the choice of 17.5 or 19mm string-spacing, their customer service...

Cons: ...umm, the Buzz series is shaped a bit funny? :D Seriously, if it's that much of a problem just pick up a Thunderbass instead for a bit more "convential" body shape. Also, they don't hold their value all that well on the used market but thay's true not just of them but most high-end customer builders. This also carries over into the "pros" as it gives a good deal of people the ability to afford a used Pedulla when a new one would most certainly be out of their price range.

3. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i've never played a a buzz, but i had an mvp-5- and it was an excellent bass! the neck was awesome, construction was flawless, and although it was odd shaped, always balanced well. i only sold it to finance an mtd 535, and if i could buy back one or the other right now, it would probably be the pedulla!

4. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Great basses! I played the Pedulla MVP models (fretted version of the Buzz basses) exclusively back in late 80's - early 90's. IMO they have the best sounding low "B" of any 34" scale bass.
    I've recently gotten back interested in the Pedulla's and traded for a 2003 Thunderbass last weekend. The have a great tone and really setup nicely!
    The tone of a Pedulla Buzz bass is just awesome! It sounds like a 500 lb. bumble bee! Awesome growl and mwah!
    If you buy used, the only con that I can think of on the Buzz basses would be if you've never played a fretless. With the fret lines though it's actually a fairly easy adjustment.

5. Excellent Basses!! I have owned an MVP-4 and two MVP-5 strings and currently a Pentabuzz. I cannot find ANY faults. Perfect.
    DSC_0107.gif
    DSC_0103.gif

6. You absolutely can not go wrong with a Pedulla. I own 4 bass guitars and 2 uprights, and my 2 Pedulla's are the cream of the crop. If I ever get another fretless, it will be a Buzz (not sure if I'd get a 5 or 4 string...I'm new to the 5 string land). Pedulla's are the easiest to play, best sounding and best ergonomically designed basses I have ever played. If you get a used one, then they are quite affordable. New...out of my price range. Keep your eye open for a used one...check Ebay, Craig's List, Bass Central, etc and you should be able to find a nice Pentabuzz for 1/3 list.

7. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I love how shiny their fretboards are.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I played a Pedulla Hexabuz (6 string fretless) exclusively for over a decade.

for me

Pros- nothing but positve every thing.

Cons- none at all.

9. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    +200000
    I wish i never sold mine.. I had a few of them.. Great basses.. I Love the feel.. maybe the best fretj ob I have ever seen ,, and their fretless buzz is truely unique...
    Just an all around great playing bass

10. I played a MVP as my main bass for over 10 years as well.

Can't think of any cons either. All pros. They sound great, play great, and are light weight. Buzz basses were very sought after because of their fretless tone.

11. kreed

kreed

Oct 18, 2005
    Singapore
    wad abt its tone? nv heard ppl talk abt its tone here before..is it a one trick pony? or isit versatile?

12. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    I've been a pedulla fan for a while, Mars and GC used to carry a bunch but now they seem to be hard to find anywhere.

Pros: Pickups, Sound, Construction, Materials, Customer Service.
    Cons: Kind of a weird body shape, poly coated fretless board might not be your liking.

The tone is def really variable, especially with the quality and combination of pickups it has.

13. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston

This is the most amazing Pedulla I've ever seen...

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    The Pedulla MVP and Buzz models are not at all one trick ponies,they are some of the best well crafted basses around and they are extremely versatile.

Depends on what tone you're looking for,I'm sure if you took the time to play one you will definitely find that you can get a multitude of great tones.

Here's a clip of me playing mine(6 string fretless)from a CD by hip hop artist Common that was released a few years ago.

http://www.jauqoiii-x.com/JK_pages/JK_music_common.html

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've owned two Buzz's and an MVP 6

Pros: Great workmanship, excellent CS, Have a great and unique fretless sound. very versatile, great feel and balance

Cons: Borderline B string on the fivers, fair resale value, need the right amp to cut thru mix with authority

I'm with Russell, they are a great bass to buy used.

16. The tone of the Buzz basses is without compare. If you are looking for lots of MWAH and the ability to use roundwounds, this is your bass. The shiny fingerboard is ebony that is coated with Pedulla's Diamondkote polyester finish that is reported to be 80% as hard as glass!!! This lets you run roundwounds without chewing up the fingerboard. VERY versatile. Pickups and electronics offer plenty of range too, especially with the mid boost switch.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I remember after playing my Hexa Buzz for a few years I had the high gloss finish taken of the fingerboard,I prefer the feel of natural Gaboon ebony under my round wounds.

18. routasydän

routasydän

Apr 25, 2006
    Oulu, Finland
    This one is absolutely gorgeus:) It is the one that made me start gassing for pedulla buzzes. But since ihave my custom 5 string fretless on order, and since i promised my wife, i will not be buying any basses in the very near future. And of course my student budget doesn't allow me to do that either:crying: But in three years when i graduate, i will buy myself a nice bass for a present. So if you ever want to sell the beuty (maybe in 2010 for example)...;)

19. Hear hear! They are great basses indeed. I had a thunderbolt that I sold and I'm really sorry about that. I do have a defretted 6-string MVP series 2 with Epoxy coat on it which is brilliant as well and sounds like a buzz. The advantage is it has the more conventional body shape, which I prefer over the buzz.

Pedulla are top-notch basses, can't go wrong.

20. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I loved my Pedulla MPV (a beat up 1986 model) - it redefined what a 4-string neck could feel like and what a bass could sound like for me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021