Pedulla Buzz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I played one of these about 10 years ago that struck me as the sweetest sounding fretless I'd ever laid hands on. I'm wondering if my memory is clouded by some bizarre nostalgia, or whether these things are really that good? I'm also curious as to what you might expect to pay for one of these used. I realize that this sort of thing is subjective, but I'd appreciate the input anyway. Thanks.
  2. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yes, Yes they are!

I've scored one for a grand, but I think they usually go $1200 to $1500 at least.

I loves mine!
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I've played a few and have always been impressed with the, The only fretless I've ever been able to play moderately well. I loved the near fretted tone the heavily lacquered fret board provides also. I think they're usually $1200-1500 on the used mkt.
  4. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i've played them, and i agree; they sound unbelievable. i have no complaints exept the look, sooo ugly to me at least, but it's the sound that makes it beautiful!:)
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Only fretless that I have ever played that I like better than a Buzz would be a Zon. Pedulla makes a killer bass.
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I've liked some Roscoe models better, but not all of them.

The buzz is great...very distinctive overall sound, yet great tonal variety.

Play the J bridge p'up for more nasal (in a good way) mwahhhh. Booming fuzz from the neck p'up, a P.

The Bart pre is great.

The neck is fabulous.

It's really an overall work of art. I always get comments or questions on it.

Service is super spectacular too (in my experience).

7. I have said it before but. . .
    I have owed my Buzz for about 15 years and all the other basses I have owned have come up short compared to it. Sometimes it is nice to be spoiled.
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    You like that TU-2, huh?
    I get so many comments on it.
    It's a beauty!!!

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I almost bought a Pedulla I auditioned up at Rudy's in NYC. I was initially attracted to the gorgeous dark cherry burst, and the tone was even more gorgeous.
  11. I've owned MTD, Zon and Rosoce fretless basses. They have all been sold or traded, the Pedulla Buzz I still have. I will never sell it. It has the epoxied board and DR Hi Beams, I run it through a Sadowsky preamp. Best mwah I've ever heard.
  12. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I've played Zulu's Buzz and it is the bomb. Outstanding playability and mwah.
  13. Great basses. Not as organic feeling, and the dipped-in-plstic thing sometimes wierds me out a bit.

Great sound, though a bit glassy which works great for being heard. Easy to play and the neck is very stable.

Here's mine. It's got the Bartt JJs, which I prefer cause I tend to jam my middle plucking finger on the P pickup of a PJ when I dig in and lose awareness. I do other dumb stuff at those times, too ! I only wish it didn't have gold hardware, which I find pretencious.

14. I could also live without the gold, a black option would have been nice. The gold isn't bad but mine is pitted from sweat.

As far a cutting throught the band, a nice slid harmonic pulls growl from the earth.
  15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I have a 1997 peacock blue Buzz-4-string.
    I agree, one of the nicest fretless out there
    Thick neck finish takes getting use to.
  16. I bought a beautiful Sunburst 4 string MVP Custom in '86 or '87 (time slips when you get older ,eh?) and to this day it is one of the best basses I have ever owned (to date I have owned 59 basses) I gave it to a friend of mine (a professional musician who lost all his gear along with everything else he owned) in a terrible fire in '96. I gave him the pick of the litter and although he originally refused I told him that if he did not choose one of my babys I would decide for him.

He played everything I had which was probably around 25 basses or so at the time and out of all of them he chose the MVP. He has recovered and is doing well and has offered to buy the bass from me or return it if I want. That bass got him through some REALLY hard times and I just could not bear to take it away from him. He has sworn that he will never sell it to anyone at any price and has said that if I will not take it back he will leave it to me in his will...he has since replaced his gear and owns some really nice stuff but he still gigs that MVP like it is the only Bass he gave me a lot of enjoyment over the years and I miss it but it gives him something special everytime he straps it on....I offer many thanks for that to M.V. Pedulla....
  17. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i guess im one of the last people to like the foo foo gold hardware:D
  18. PAULK

Mar 6, 2003
  19. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have a Pedulla MVP 4 string. Alas, mine is fretted, but I like its looks and playability. THey're great basses and I've had it for a number of years now. I always keep a large rag (actually, an old fitted crib sheet with mine). I never touch the gold tuners, I always use the rag and I wipe off the bridge every set. I.e., my gold hw is not pitted.
  20. I sweat acid. . . hence the pitting. :D
    Mine is pretty beat up so I cleaned it, put it in the case and stored it in the closet.
    I still pull it out of the case once and a while, first words out of my mouth are always "Damn your sexy"