Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla...Drool...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man, at GC recently, and they had this beautiful Pedulla (I'm pretty sure about the model) Thunderbolt 5er with the AA top in a eye candy dark quilted teal color, with gold hardware, a dark wood neck (I don't think it was RW) and the optional 19mm string spacing. Oh man. I'm gonna die. It played like buttah. I mean, this is THE bass. It's the only one that has ever grabbed me like this one. I played it for like an hour through an SWR Silverado, and I'll tell you what, this thing was the bad boy I've been looking for since I decided to get a new bass. the Ibanez BTB? The MM Stringray 5? Phhht! Out the door. This thing had the tone, the feel, and the sound. With the amp EQ flat, I dialed in about as many tones as I could dream of (Personal opinion here). This is my new bass, bar none.

It's not to boomy, not to thin. Just right, a thick bass sound. Hit that Thunderguts switch, BAM kick that bad boy into high gear. Thing had some Barts in it, and I'm telling you, with a ~$2000 price tag...I'm gonna have to start saving right after the new rig. Sweet Jebus. This thing is my new baby.

Any of yall dig these Pedullas?

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Zuh? I was at G/C just tonight twiddlin' a sweet cherryburst Buzz fiver -
    gold h/w, Barts, "glass" board :eek: $1200-somethin'.

I started GAS-in' for the Egan signature after WAY too much time
    in that "beautiful doublenecks" thread...

[​IMG]

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am familiar with the T Bolt 5, it is a killer bass with a mucho aggressive tone with that Thunderguts circuit kicked in!

I own it's little sister, the Rapture J2 5, with the optional 19mm spacing as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Every time I think about Pedullas, I short my keyboard out with drool! zzzzzzzt#$%^ there it goes:D. I want a ThunderBass 5. never tried a bolt, looks real nice, though.

6. Brendan,
    Hey man, if that's the bass that works for you - I mean, if you know you can play it, and will optimize your sound/performance or whatever. If your happy with it, and it fits your budget.

Go fo it!

no matter what anybody says.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Darn you Munji! Don't toy with me.

9. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    How long you been playing Brendan?

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I been playing for about 1 year, 4 monthes.(not sure about monthe, but pretty sure october) Why?

11. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    You are still a beginner, through and through. Why do you need a Pedulla? A $2000 bass after playing for a year and a half? Hhhmmm...

12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    hey,

if he's got GAS (BAS) after a year or so...more power to him.

why not get what you think is the best bass for you, regarless of the time spent on the instrument.

obviously, he's commited...in more ways than one...welcome to the club.

i wish i had the choices available now when i was first starting out.

my first "high end" bass was a Pedulla 4 string BUZZ...as one of my friends said, it was like "touching the hem of god."

at least until i got my Lightwave Zon Sonus...god is made of ASH and INFRAREDS!

fred

13. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Im not trying to sold like the crabby old guy, but you wouldnt get a new driver a Ferrari, would you?

Too much emphasis is placed on WHAT you play, rather than HOW. The Pedulla isnt going to cover up lack of playing abilities. Itll just make people expect much more.

Somehow, i think a $2000 is too much for a beginner who (and im not trying to sound mean, i remember being a beginner) can't play through inversions of a major arpeggio.

Im not trying to be mean Brendan, im just saying maybe you should get something "more within reason" for how long you've been playing. Focus on the playing!

Hell, you might be a virtuoso, or you might just be practicing extremely hard and be a very good player. Its not like anyone is stopping you from buying it, i just think you should wait until you've developed your playing.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy. No sir, I disagree. One should always buy the best bass one can afford (after finding one that sounds the way one likes). A fine bass isn't going to cover up anything. What it will do is get the player excited about how good a sound is possible. Also you can't blame the equipment for any shortcomings. A lesser bass might lead to frustration and discouragement. OK, that's all.

15. Oh goody, my favorite topic, Pedullas.

Well, a year + of hard practicing will make you pretty damned good. 20 years of dicking around will not, so it's all in the approach. After a year + of hard practicing, I felt I had progressed quite far, and I got an OK bass, which I played for 10 years, and then just last year I realized I could use a great bass. After lots of searching and researching, I got a Pedulla Thunderbass ET4 http://soda.berkeley.edu/~cody/images/bass/ET4 which is still the nicest instrument I have ever played. It's not a particularly versatile instrument. I mean, it has two pickups, and you can dial the mix, and that does what you'd expect, but the tone knob is subtle, and the thunderguts is an on/off thing. The sound it does make though, Oh my god! Kind of the Platonic ideal of bass. Every time I pick it up, I am overwhelmed with a feeling like I'm about to partake in something magnificent.
    The thunderbolt, is somewhat less clear and deep (the expected effect of a bolt-on, but still awfully nice, particularly if you want that more usual bass sound).

THEN, I got a Pedulla Rapture J2 5-string as well.
    http://soda.berkeley.edu/~cody/images/bass/rapture Now that is a versatile instrument. The onboard electronics are super-powerful. Mine even had the 2-band EQ modified to a 3-band. The feel and sound of the B-string are just perfect. I delayed playing a 5-string for years until I found this bass. I end up using it more than the most wonderful bass in the world (TMWBITW), the ET4, because of this versatility, and the more cutting sound. But I feel like I should join the sort of band where I can just play half notes, and revel in TMBWIW.

16. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey, to each his own.

But, 1 year of hard practicing won't make you pretty damn good in any case. Im sorry, but no. You dont see to many pro players who are saying "hey, ive been playing for a year, and wow!"

Almost EVERY kid here has talked about upgrading to very expensive intruments after a 6 months, a year, maybe 1½, of playing. Why? Its because they hear about much more experienced players who are getting this type of thing, and assume they NEED it too, when, no, they really dont. Id say this to someone who had been playing a year regardless of age, but adults TEND to do this much less. Im not against buying good gear, but $2000 for a bass for a beginner is rediculous. They shouldnt buy it for the excuse that they cant blame the gear, because if they sound like crap on a squire, theyll sound like crap on a fodera.

17. Dude, I could play most of the important triad and tetrad arpeggios, in every inversion, when I'd been playing a year. Speak fo' yo' self.

18. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Im taking the position of the average beginner, not the exception. He hasn't responded, so i have to assume things for now. Dont get offended by it.

19. Plumber Man, a year of directed study and dedicated practice could make a person very very good at just about anything.

To the discussion at hand, also try to recognize that $2000 means different things to people of different wealths. And finally, that $2000 basses can be had for $1000 used, making Pedullas quite obtainable. I got the ET4 for $1250, the Rapture for $800.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well Jimmy look at it this way: I (and other young players) Might not need the $2000 bass. Hell, I don't need a $500 bass. But that doesn't mean I can't want the $2000. I happen to like it very much, in fact, more than anyother bass I've played. Now, tell me, would you sell yourself short, and compromise, get a bass you don't like as much, and isn't really what you want, just because you can't imagine spending 2000? I wouldn't. Hell, it's expensive, but you know what? If that's what I like it's the bass, not the price tag. So what if it's really nice? Just means I have to save more money before I can get what I want. Some people dream of $700 fenders, or a $1000 Ibanez. I just happen to dream of an instrument that Is more expensive. Heck, It's not like I'm in it so I can say "Yeah, I got me a 2000 dollar Pedulla" I'm after it becuase I like the bass. If it's expensive, so be it.
    And If I get a 2000, wouldn't that make me work harder to make it worth the money?
    As for "earning" it, I think that's a load of bull. If I have a nice instrument, so what? Would you be jealous if I worked my ass off at minimum wage for a year to get the money for it? Somethig threaten you about a kid with a nice bass? If I sould like crap on it, so what? I'm learning. Might was well learn on the best, not the worst. I'll get better, and If I get better on a Pedulla, what's the diff between getting better on that than on a Squire?

So tell me, do you as a bass player think I should sell myself short and get something I don't like as well, just because it's a nice instrument, and it's expensive?