Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla Esque Fretless Finish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Linas, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I have a fretless jazz bass but the finish that is on the fingerboard right now doesnt give enought muuah. I was wondering how pedulla gets that glass like finish on the fingerboard. I have tried on a project bass just using polyurethane, but couldnt get that shiney finish and also couldnt make my bass get enough muaah. Any tips/tricks?

This site has good examples of the final product im looking for
    http://www.epoxyfretless.com/

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Thor fretless boards give me endless GAS. The ebony board with that high gloss finish...on a C.A. green bass.

MMMMMMMMMmmmmm.

3. Well the title of your post answers your own question.
    Pedulla will diamonkote anyones neck. ;)
    Dirk

4. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    yeah theyle diamondkote it and charge you 300$ some dollars. I am looking for the do it yourselfers answer to my problem of getting glass like glaze.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    System 3 mirror coat Epoxy and a lot of time and patience. As well as very low action at the nut and as close to flat a fingerboard as possible meaning almost no relief. This should net you Jaco.

6. The search turns up this defret/epoxy coating tutorial. I had the enjoyment of of sort of assisting, but mostly just using the author's tools for my own greedy needs.