1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Pedulla ET5 Thunderbass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Modulus1906, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Modulus1906

Modulus1906 Supporting Member

May 5, 2009
    Price:
    $2450
    Strings:
    Hello,

Listed for sale is my Pedulla ET5 5-string Thunderbass. I purchased this bass brand new in 2011 from the Atlanta Bass Gallery. You'll note in the photo that this was a custom order to the extent that I had the maple finish custom stained to a "vintage amber" type color to the wood grain in the Cocobolo top. At the time I ordered the bass, I had not seen any of the Thunderbasses listed at the Pedulla site with this finish option and have seen few since, so this is not a color combination you'll see too often. I combined that amber finish coloring with a gloss finish for a bass that is absolutely stunning in person. Including the $600 Pedulla charges for this "finish option", this bass currently sells for $6,095. The first picture below is the actual stock photo from the Pedulla website.

Please note that I replaced the stock Bartolini electronics in this bass with the following components, which I consider a noticeable upgrade over the stock Pedulla electronics believe it or not. While I thought the original Pedulla sound was nice, I wanted to be able to dial up a more articulate "top end" sheen in addition to the growl you expect from a Pedulla, so I actually knew at the time I bought this bass that I would replace the stock components. The original electronics were very unforgiving of changes in high-end zing from new strings. Here are the upgraded components (all components ordered new from Best Bass Gear and installed professionally by a top notch luthier in the Atlanta area):

Pickups: Replaced the stock Bartolinis with Bartolini Classic Bass dual coil pickups with each pickup having its own 3-position toggle switch that changes the pickup mode from (a) dual coil (parallel), (b) single coil-north, and (c) single coil-south. If you want, you can rewire one or both toggles to include the series mode, but I just preferred having two single coil modes versus the series mode. However, I originally had the toggles wired for series, and I will say it was virtually a dead ringer for the original Pedulla tone with the Thunderguts switch engaged.

Preamp. Replaced the stock Bartolini pre with a custom 3-band ordered from Glockenklang via Best Bass Gear. From the labels on the box below, you can see that this preamp is equipped with two toggle switches that switches the bass frequency @ 40hz/80hz and switches the midrange frequencies at 250hz/750hz/550hz. When deciding on these specs, I was careful not to stray away from the inherent frequencies of the Glockenklang preamp (40hz bass and 550hz mids) as this is the best sounding preamp on the market in my humble opinion. I just wanted a wider range of frequency options to compliment the wider-range capabilities of the Bartolini Classics. I included the 750hz adjustment to allow some cut in midrange for slapping without sucking the warmth and life out of the tone.

The sound of this bass I’d described as punchy, throaty, and extremely articulate. I have this same configuration in a few of my other basses that I'm keeping. I know this sounds cliché, but this sound is so much more versatile that the original electronics. My opinion of course, but I think I have a sensitive ear so I didn't decide to switch the electronics willy nilly. I sold my Modulus Quantum 6 with similar mods a while back to a professional bass player in Ohio. This guy was familiar with Modulus basses and he contacted me after playing the bass to tell me how fantastic the bass sounded.

Why am I selling this bass? As a bass hobbyist having only used the bass at home for practice and having fun, I have too many basses and am looking to get down to a practical number of basses with which to scratch my hobbyist itch. Also, unlike my other basses that span 17.5mm (6-string) and 18mm (5-string), this bass has 19mm spacing. I've discovered over time that I'm more comfortable on spacing no more than 18mm. Whenever I play this bass after playing one of the others, the change in feel is really apparent.

This bass is in pristine condition but for about four minor blemishes that I have captured in the attached photos. I'd say 9/10 but 8/10 to be "safe". Given that I've split time with this bass and others I have, I'd say it's not even broken in yet despite that I bought it back in 2011 and it's never been gigged.

Included are the original hardshell case, adjustment hardware, and owner’s manual. Ebony fretboard with 19mm spacing. Price includes up to $70 in shipping charges to lower 48 addresses. I'll ship to Canada, but you'll have to pickup shipping exceeding $70. No trades please. Paypal or cashiers check preferable). Thank you.
    Pedulla ET5 Thumderbass - Stock Photo.
    ET5 1. ET5 2. Custom Glock Specs.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That’s pretty cool

3. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Gorgeous

4. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Love it!

5. Randy W Lopez

Randy W Lopez Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Dearborn Heights, MI
    Endorsing Artist-MESA BOOGIE
    Beautiful bass.
    What's it weigh in at?

6. Modulus1906

May 5, 2009
    This bass weighs 10.5lbs. Thanks

7. Modulus1906

May 5, 2009
    Additional photos attached. Thanks

8. Modulus1906

May 5, 2009
    This beauty is sold!

9. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I bet this is a killer bass. If this bass becomes available again, I'd like it.