pedulla fretless, glassy fingerboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drone, Mar 14, 2001.

1. At GC, I played on a fretless Pedulla, I'm not entirely sure, But I believe the model was the buzz...that's the one with the upper horn that looks like some kind of cucumber squash? Anyhow, This is the way I dream about fretless basses playing. That glassy finish on the fretboard is what I am looking for. Who else puts out fretless basses with epoxy fingerboards? Or, how much would it usually cost to have such a fretboard finished? I know jaco used boat epoxy, but hey, I'm not so much of a do it yourselfer...
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Other than the Pedulla, the only production bass I cam think of with a coated board is the Fender Jaco model.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    As far as the coated fingerboards go, Pedulla is basically a leader in a field of one.

"cucumber squash"?:rolleyes:

...I'll pretend I didn't read that.:mad:

Will C.:cool:
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And the Fender is like 2 coats of lacquer, it wears through in no time.

I was quoted $250 one time to have the board on my old Electra Westone epoxied, never got around to checking prices on a poly coating.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    most custom luthiers should be able to do that for you. my conklin fretlesses have that finish on the fretboard. in fact, i got them that way because i was a huge fan of my pedulla's (4 string buzz) fretboard.

the one problem with the pedulla finish, at least on mine that i've had since '90, is that the finish seperated from the fretlines. i had it refinished by pedulla in '92, and it did it again a few years later.

then again, i haven't really played that bass in 7 or 8 years. since i got my first conklin (a fretless 7) in '93, i haven't touched my 4 strings much, especially that one. pedulla's are killer basses, but just not enough strings :D
  7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've owned 3 Pedulla Buzz basses and never had a problem with the coating on the fingerboard seperating. The fingerboard on my much played 1994 Hexabuzz does show some wear and I guess it is about halfway to needing a refinish on the fingerboard.

I also have a Fender Jaco bass (not custom shop) and the nickel roundwounds on it have only marked up the finish. This bass has been played a fair amount.

8. I think you´re being VERY unfair to all your basses (except conklins, of course)!! and you should just ship them to ME! where they´ll get played!!

I feel BAD for those basses!! :mad:

:rolleyes: :D