Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saint Michael, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Does anyone know if Pedulla has coatings for the Morado fretless Rapture J's? I would go to the site directly to ask, but I can't seem to get to the page. Thanks

2. BTW What do some of you think about coatings on the fretless fingetboards, anyone plays with them?

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    My last price list as well as the site has the polyester fingerboard as a $200 upcharge on every model except the Buzz, where it's standard.

As for the sound and playability, Pedullas are probably my favorite fretlesses, but I can understand players who think they're too bright. Certainly not an "old school" sound.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have a polyester coating on my fretless; it feels just like a Pedulla. It's very zingy and bright, so it definitely won't aid in giving you an upright-like sound if that's what you're looking for. But it does give a great singing mwahful tone, it's very durable to wear, and I think enhances slap playing on a fretless.[​IMG]

5. The Pedulla coated fretless fingerboards are great. You can get that bright and zingy sound that folks have mentioned, but you can also still get a darker, wamer sound as well. I have a Rapture J2 5 string fretless that has become my favorite bass by far, both for the feel and the sound. They claim the coating is 80% as hard as glass, I know my fingerboard still looks like the day it came home (and it has seen hundreds of hours of use). Another bassist I know has a 4 string Rapture J2 fretless, it has seen a few hundred hours more play time than mine (he has had it about 6 months longer, and it has seen a lot of stage time) and his fingerboard also still looks new. We both have a pretty light touch, and both basses still have nickel roundwounds on them (I like the Pedulla strings, he is using another brand), your experience may vary depending on your touch and string preference. I have another Pedulla fretless with the coated fingerboard on order (HexaBuzz, quilted maple, violet, soapbars, black hardware... :hyper: after spending time on one I had to, and am very anxiously awaiting its arrival), you can probably guess I am sold on Pedulla coated fretless fingerboards. :D

(wow, that hyper smilie can do odd things to paragraph formatting...)

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    As stated $200.00 charge for fingerboard.
    I have a J 2000-fretless 5, with coated fingerboard.
    These bass are bright, but try a Pedulla with flatwounds,
    will get more of old school sound.

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    my first "high-end" bass was a Buzz 4 fretless.

man, i love telling this...

when i went into the bass center in LA, i went right for the Buzz, the salesguy said:

"don't play that!"

"oh?"

"you won't leave here without it!"

:cool:

f

8. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm a big fan on the coated fingerboard on a fretless. Unfortunately my pentabuzz needed a resurface on the fingerboard, and i didn't have the money to get a new coating at the time. :bawl:

It's not the same as it was before, not as bright, but warmer. Play one before you buy, you may love it or it may not be for you.

9. Thanks for all of the advice. I feel real good about my choice to go with Pedulla fretless now. I see many have mentioned the bright tone it produces. I am more of a darker, vintage tone fan myself. I think I could compromise but will definitely be shooting to get it close to the way I would like it. Any other ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.