1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedulla MVP 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LaBassGuy, Jan 15, 2013.

1. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

Aug 26, 2008
    Hi, I currently own a Pedulla Buzz-5 and am considering an MVP 4. This is obviously the fretted version.

But given that it's without the poly coating, does the MVP sound any different than the Buzz? Is it better or worse?

Appreciate any thoughts

2. I'm confused. You are comparing a fretless five string to a fretted four string. Of course they will sound different.

3. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

Aug 26, 2008
    The fretless 'fretboard' is coated with a poly finish which many say is a large contributor to the Buzz tone. The fretted version doesn't have such a coating.

So, I want to know whether this lack of poly coating makes for a substantially different tone on the fretted.

4. The hard finish on a buzz enhances the brightness of the tone, by adding 'zing' to the 'mwah',....the string vibrating against the fingerboard which is such an obvious hallmark of the fretless sound.
    This type of finish is irrelevant(IMO) in the case of a fretted bass, as the strings would never touch it. There's no 'mwah' for the finish to enhance.
    These basses will sound different largely because one has frets and one does not.

5. BruceRichardson

BruceRichardson

Dec 31, 2008
    I play a Pentabuzz myself, and just played an MVP-5 this week. Neck feel, very much same. The one I played wasn't a good comparison, because it was double-soapbar, and I was comparing it to my PJ. Very different pickups...similar but different tone.

I'm also trying to find a Nuance in Dallas to play, but so far no luck.

6. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

Aug 26, 2008
    Ok, well I am still mulling whether to buy the MVP. I get a pretty interesting slap tone from the buzz. I can only imagine what the MVP slaps like

7. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Check out some of the videos on YouTube of Doug Johns demoing the different Pedulla basses. That might help you out.

8. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Play the open strings on your Buzz; the open strings on the MVP will sound very similar.

Once you stop a string, all bets are off.

9. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

Aug 26, 2008
    I've purchased the MVP 4. I'll let you know my thoughts when it arrives.

My hunch is tonally it will be similar to Fodera--or something in that neighborhood.

10. There are some useful sound samples on the Pedulla site and also on Youtube. I am a buzz player and am also considering an MVP. I would view videos of Mark Egan playing his MVP.

11. They sound pretty damn good when slapped. Though you are still essentially comparing apples with oranges (or at least a Seville orange to a Blood orange). I doubt you will be disappointed with the MVP though, if you like the 'Buzz.

12. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

Aug 26, 2008
    I did check out those clips. And like I said, I hear a lot of the Fodera vibe. Clean, refined P/J tone. And I'm really diggin it.

Tonally, based on what I've heard, it's not as high-fi as an MTD, for instance. It has more grind to it.

13. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

Aug 26, 2008
    So I got the MVP.

It has an ebony board for that unique snappy sound you get from those. The pups are ubber clean and refined--but yet the entire tone is mix of vintage and modern.

When playing fingerstyle, the top end--particularly on the D and G strings--has a real pleasent honky-ness to it. Sounds bit like Peavey Cirrus or Roscoe but with bit more fat and grind. The lower registers sounds like a good, refined jazz bass.

Further, the neckthru takes nothing away from the punchiness of the tone.

So overall, an awesome sound--truly unique. I don't know of any other bass that sounds like this.

14. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

Aug 26, 2008
    The tone is heavy in the low mids--which are topped off by the snappy and high end nature of maple.

So the P pickup plays a prominent role in the tone. I guess this is the general nature of P/J basses--fatter, heavier in the low mids than a JJ setup.

15. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Grats, where are the pics? :)

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021