Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla Nickels

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Aaron, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm a little bit curious about these strings for my hanewinckel. How do they feel tension wise (are they pretty well balanced accross the fingerboard?)? Are they mellow sounding?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I love Pedulla nickels!

I'm using 5-string sets with .045 .065 .080 .100 .128 gauge strings (tapered E and B).

Tension wise, they have a tight feel (the best nickel B-string I have ever tried), and they are very well balanced. (I used to use .085 A and .105 E strings, but now I prefer the .080 and .100).

Tone wise, I wouldn't call them mellow. They have as much zing as any other nickel string. (If you want something more aggressive, you should try stainless). Also, the Pedullas are the longest lasting nickel strings that I have ever used.

FWIW, I'm using the Pedulla nickels on a 5-string Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass with a maple fretboard.

Try 'em, you'll like 'em :) .

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

This may, or may not, apply to Pedulla nickels, Tracy, because I've only had experience with Pedulla stainless steels.

But as you may know, there are just a handful of string manufacturers in the world who make all the brand names of electric strings.

When I got my Lakland Skyline, I was told on good authority that GHS makes Lakland strings.

I was always curious about Pedullas so I bought a set. They were absolutely identical in feel and tone to the GHS/Laklands. I later read that GHS makes those Pedullas. Nothing wrong there - they were above average stainless steels to me.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA

I figured they were made by a string company. Aren't all strings from small makers (pedulla, ken smith, fodera...) made by bigger companies (ghs, d'addario...)?

I beleive they are cheaper than GHS's though. :D

Thanks slater and rick.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Here's a link to an article that gives you a good lowdown on strings http://archive.bassplayer.com/gear/industry.shtml

What I wish I knew is - which bass makers specify meaningful tweaks for their brand name strings and which bass makers just slap their brand name on the string manufacturer's package.