Pedulla Opinions ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pourboy, Jun 30, 2001.

1. pourboy

Mar 11, 2001
    Boston, Mass.
    Does anyone own or play a Pedulla ? I'm just curious what you think, pros and cons. The seem like beautiful basses, but you don't see a lot of people playing them or discussing them.
  2. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I have Pedulla MVP 4 , it is a fine instrument, easy to play , nicely made , good tone but nothing special.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a Pedulla Rapture J2 5 string.

Nice soft V shape to the neck, great B string, slightly flamed maple body, birdseye maple fingerboard, cherry sunburst, tortoise pickguard, Bartolini J pickups and preamp. I love it! Nicely crafted, great fretwork, 19MM bridge string spacing.
  4. I see Pedullas as the gateway to the High End world. They are well-crafted and they usually have a big sound. I like the Bartolini soapbars in the Thunderbolts better than the J's in the Raptures - seems to have a more open sound.

If bucks are limited, they're a good choice - especially used.

The downside: I like 24 fret fingerboards, and Pedulla does not make any models with 24 frets.

Hope this helps
  5. My MVP 4 has a 24 fret neck.

Very well made basses, but IMO, at about the same price new, not quite as good sounding my Sadowsky and they don't hold there value so well.
    Good if you're buying second hand.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    That's not true at all. Most models have 24 frets. The mVP and the Buzz basses have 2 octave necks. Same goes for the Thunderbass and the Thunderbolt.

So you see, your last excuse not to own a Pedulla has bitten the dust. ;)

I have a PentaBuzz myself and I like it to death. The only downside is that it doesn't have the Bartiloni Preamp installed, so It's not as versatile. I remedy this with an L.R. Baggs gigpro, other times, i just use the stock sound, which is pretty good too.

I often find myself Jonesin' for a Zon Fretless 5, though, M-Bel keeps torturin' me with the pics of his...
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Actually, the bolt-ons have 22 frets. The thru necks all have 24 frets, or two octaves.
  8. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I've owned my Pedulla Thunderbass since '91 ...
    ( Bought new ) has given me many years of great sound and is still one of my top basses. I will probably never sell this bass !!!

....downside.....Pedulla charges top $$ for replacement parts...or refin work. Best to do all your homework prior to making a commitment with them. To be fair, Christine ( Pedulla's service liason ), is extremely pleasant and responsive to emails. 2Cents Peter

9. As you may have noticed from my last post pic, my MVP has a miss matched pan control knob, the original some how lost at a hectic gig by our roady’s.
    About a year ago Pedulla quoted me about $56 with shipping for a replacement. I asked them to use ordinary post but they couldn’t supply this service. Needless to say I wasn't prepared to pay this amount.

….so if anyone has a spare Pedulla knob…:D
  10. I played a Thunderbass 4 a month or so ago, and it totally turned me onto a Pedulla. I'd never liked Barts before then, now I can see why they are described as warm.

I couldn't imagine using it for rock or metal, but funk, jazz or reggae would suit it perfectly. I picked up a Spector NS5CRFM next and forgot about the Pedulla though...;)
  11. embellisher

Did I hear my name and Zon mentioned in the same sentence?;)

Oops! This is a Pedulla thread! Well, I can do that too!:D

12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I had a Pedulla Pentabuzz for awhile that I really liked. Someone already mentioned that they are sort of like the first step towards high-end overkill. I think that's a good way to look at them. Used they can be good values.

I just recently played a Rapture J2 5 2000 in a guitar center in Denver and it was slammin. The set up was perfect and the tone was really good. Those are really good, moderately priced basses. Although, I've also played some dogs, so you have to be careful. When you find a good one though, you probably can't go wrong.
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

You so bad...;)
  14. embellisher

15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I myself am partial to the Thunderbolt of the, if not THE best 5er I have ever laid hands on (IMO)...well, the ones with 19mm string spacing. I like the B's on them, even at 34" (I believe, though I might be mistaken) The B was rather taught...and I did like the warmth the Barts were pumping...and with the "thunderguts" switch tripped...oh man!

Does anyone know what the "Thunderguts" switch does? It's almost like turning the "thunder" Up...bass boost, or what?
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's mine. ThunderBolt 5-string fretless, AAA top, optional Bartolini BTB electronics, narrow string spacing and, of course, the quintessential gold harware. The "Thunderguts switch" is a mid-boost. It really adds "mwah" factor. So how is it? Bitchen. Legendary Pedulla growl, a dream to play.
  17. That bass in 4 string and fretted, was the exact same one I played. Same finish, too. It was retailing new for £1295. A Warwick Thumb 4 I saw yesterday retailed at £1595.

Pedulla vs. Warwick...and the Pedulla's cheaper?!?!?!