Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla P2000 5-string at Guitar Center brand new for $1289.00

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Is this a good deal? I played this last night and just about died. It was soooo sweet. If I could just get another 500.00 or so, I'd take my Corvette Proline back and get it.

Knavery

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Do you mean a Rapture 2000? If yes, that's a great price for a new one! ;)

3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    great price! i'd snag it in a heartbeat

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Probably a P/J 2000. And if so, that is indeed a killer price!

5. Ohhh, you beast, you savage! C'mon, bark like a dawg fer me!
    :hyper:
    GREAT deal...in a heartbeat!

6. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I just called Guitar Center. They say this is a P/J 2000 5-String. It will be $1501.63 with tax and the case. They stated that they do not have the manual and might not have the wrenches. I read on the Pedulla website that you MUST get these from the place you purchase the bass or it could void the warranty. What do you guys think? This guy at GC said this Pedulla has been there for almost 2 years. How can you have a Pedulla sit around for 2 years? Am I missing something here? Sorry if all of these questions sound stupid, but if this were a $500.00 piece instead of a $1500.00, I wouldn't be making such a big deal out of it.

Knavery

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I just bought a used J/J 2000 used for $1300 w/case so I think you're getting a good deal! Either that or I got suckered. :eek: Also, you can order the "owner's kit" from the Pedulla website for $20. This includes a manual and truss rod adjustment wrench.

As far as voiding your warranty, I think you may be mis-reading the following quote from http://www.pedulla.com/html/placing_an_order.html

So it doesn't look like you'll void the warranty by ordering the truss rod tool. You will void it if you use any other tool is what the above it saying if I read it correctly.

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Can't comment on the manual/warantee issue. You can email Pedulla. The URL is on their site, and they are usually very responsive. They have a note on the site to the effect that they are rather concerned about how their basses are presented at dealers - quite understandable since they are selling through GC!

GC's high-end basses often sit around for years. I have seen them sell them out at 1/2 price, or maybe less - including Pedullas.

I have also seen the high-enders go on sale for 1/2 price, and go back off sale a month later. Although you might be able to talk it back down to the sale price.

9. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I called Pedulla and Mike Pedulla called me back. What a nice gentleman. He stated that GC is responsible for getting me the kit with the manual. GC gave me some line that the reason that it is so cheap is because it's a blow-out and they don't have all of that stuff. Whatever.. I know the price is killer, but what kind of business do they run anyway?

Knavery

10. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

The "you won't give a crap about our bad service and lack of knowledgeable salespeople because we have the lowest prices!" kind of business. See also, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc.

11. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Quality high-end basses like Pedullas are often on the shelf forever at places like GC because they are in the price range of a relatively tiny group of customers yet take a vicious beating by every junior high school slapper who comes in to the store (no offense to anyone) to try stuff out. For that price, you could definitely find some nice used Pedullas on here or talkbass. There are actually a couple of Raptures going for sale right now.

As for the owners manual and truss rod, you should take it up with GC as being responsible for getting it to you...guys I know who have worked there have told me that all accessories that ship with factory instruments are separated at birth upon arrival at the stores. Good for them, bad for the rest of us!

Pedullas are a beautiful instrument though - you're going to LOVE it. (granted, I am a Pedulla endorser, but you'll surely find out for yourself!!!)

Lonny White
    www.theparamours.com

12. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    because they are in the price range of a relatively tiny group of customers yet take a vicious beating by every junior high school slapper who comes in to the store (no offense to anyone) to try stuff out.

Yeah... I checked it out pretty thoroughly. It looks like there is a long scratch on the gloss, but I can't really tell. It goes along with the wood grain and it only looks like a scratch in the right light.

It doesn't look like too many people picked it up to play as there were no scratches on the pickguard etc. etc.

For those insterested, I have pics coming... It's emerald green with a pearl pickguard... It has 22 frets, 19mm width at the nut which is nice and I noticed it doesn't have jumbo frets. I believe they are medium jumbo. This makes it easy to glide up and down the neck without barely noticing them. It has a birdseye maples neck and curly maple body. It also has two active J-pups which are simply incredible sounding and quiet. Done deal at 1501.00. They had case, and everything included.

Knavery

13. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    That sounds excellent! Post some pics please! :)

Here's a pic of my Pedulla! Clicky clicky!

14. are there any audio clips of Pedullas floating around? I'd love to hear how they sound...since I'm ISO a new bass

15. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Fretted Pedulla's tend to have very strong and meaty mids, and a bit of high treble rolloff. IMO this makes them GREAT for fingerstyle, somewhat less so for slapping. B strings are incredible as well.

Fretless Pedulla's have a smooth "glassy" tone, although to my ear, they are lacking the mid-range complexity of their fretted siblings. I haven't been able to coax a satisfactory "mwah" or "growl" out of the several PentaBuzz's I've played.