1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedulla Pentabuzz owners... which strings??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Irishbass, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Just wondering what strings you guys use, I am a big fan of Thomastik flats and currently have my Pentabuzz strung with them, however for some reason, maybe the diamondkote on the board, I just feel the bass is a bit lacking in Mwah and growl in a live setting, I'm wondering about going back to rounds again?...I think I've been listening to alot of Mick Karn recently and the growly Mwah he gets from that Wal is just glorious!!

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    When I had mine I ran D'adario nickel rounds. I imagine the DR Sunbeams or the Sadowsky bright nickels would sound good also. Just stay away from Stainless strings, they will chew up even he diamondcoat finish. One other thing I found, Frettless basses like a bit of Compression and a chorus never hurts.

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    A good friend of mine used Ken Smith Rockmaster stainless steel roundwounds on his mid-80's Pedulla Buzz and never had a problem with the fingerboard coating.

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    d'addario XLs, for a roundwound they a very smooth to glide on, imo the perfect 'in between' of a round and flat for a electreic fretless.

5. On my CB bass, which was modiefied from many Pedulla ideas, I'm just using DR High Beams and plenty of mwahhhh.

6. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove

Elixers, roundwound mwahhhh plus smooth feel and no neck wear.

7. D'Addario half-rounds. All the mwah, smooth to the touch, little-to-no FB wear.
    Disclaimer: I do not own a Pedulla but have played[name-drop alert]Jeff Schmidt's, & have gone through several fretless basses in search of a 'Pedulla-like' tone.

8. Forgot to mention I string my Pentabuzz E-C, that means I'll probably end up buying a 6 string set, wonder if that will limit my options...probably rules out DR's which I like but dont think they do a 6 string set...:confused:

9. I'm no expert, but I think they make a set.

10. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    I use DR Highbeams on my Wal Fretlesses, my Zon Fretless and I used them on my Pedulla Pentabuzz. Never had any problems. I did have one of my Wals' neck dressed once...but it was once in 16 years of almost daily use!

I think that this worry about fingerboard danger is over-estimated. If you have a good hard piece of Ebony or the type of coating Mike Pedulla uses, you'll be fine even with DR Highbeams...and they sound and feel wonderful right out of the package.

11. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    the edges on the roundwounds affect the glide action when sliding up and down. its mainly for that reason that I and some others recommend the D'addario XLs. A lot less coarse than most.