Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla Pentabuzz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davepack, Jul 3, 2004.

1. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I'm considering buying a Pedulla Pentabuzz (fretless 5 string). Can anyone provide any comments about this bass?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One of the best basses on the planet, bar none. Severly under known. Those who do know they are a top quality axe, so they're not really underrated, just not well known.

Mike P. also has some of the best CS known to man.

These aren't "production" basses, but they're the most consistently amazing line of basses I've come across. Every single Pentabuzz makes me want to go fretless, and every one plays like butter. Fast, fast, fast neck, immaculate finish, and perfectly matched electronics. They've got their own sound, but it's an amazing and versitile sound.

The finishes are gorgeous, and they completely debunk the 34" B string concept. One of the best used values used, as well.

Get one. Now.

3. davepack

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Thanks man! That's all I needed to hear. I picked it up this morning. Funny story behind it. The Guitar Center here opened up a little over 2 years ago...and they've had the Pentabuzz since they opened. Over the last couple years they've lowered the price every few months, and when it got down to $1850 I decided I should check it out. My good friend works there and told me they were basically selling it AT COST just to get their money back..I think they only made a LITTLE bit on this deal. Anyway, I did some research online and found most USED pentabuzzes go for about this price...and I loved the bass so decided to get it. I'll post pictures soon!

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    $1800 is high. Used Pentas for for for $900-1200. However, for a new one, it's a pretty good deal.

You won't regret it, especially after you get it home, clean it up, put new strings on it, and get it set up. They're on the short list of basses I need to get around to owning.

5. i tried a used one a while back. i was most impressed. it had excellent tone, the neck was butter, it was just an awesome bass. i also think they look wicked cool. go for it.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    GC paid half of list price for it. Current list on a AA Pentabuzz is $3,795. Half of that is $1,898. You done good. GC likes to start at around $2,600 for these, and would probably settle for $2,200 or so, if you threaten to poke their eyes out.

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I like the Pedullas, but I don't dig the 5ers with the PJ combo. For some reason when you have both pickups on the low B seems to faze out and becomes very weak sounding.

If I were to ever get a bass with a headstock again, it would probably be a Pedulla.

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Pedulla's have some of the best finishes I have ever seen on basses. I don't care for the Raptures or the Thunders. The only one I like are the MVP/Buzz. But then again, I never played a Thunderbolt.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Thunderbolt has a slightly thicker neck than the Buzz/MVP, but still supa fast.

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats on the Penta-Buzz! IMO you found a really good deal. One of my local GC's had one discounted about a year ago. It was finsihed in a blue to green burst, and it was a joy to play. Unfortunately for me, I could'nt afford it. It's now long, long gone :crying:. As already posted, Pedulla's customer support, finishes, quality, tone, etc are all top notch. IME, Pedulla's C.S. is the best, they truly value you as a customer.

I'm jealous :D , but congrats again!
    -A.P.

11. Congrats. Lets see the pix of your new beauty...

They are fine basses, and my JJ Pentabuzz is my favorite playing fretless, though it's sonically not a great choice for the acoustic Latin music I'm playing these days, cause it stands out too much and tends to dominate the mix.

[​IMG]

I'm currently building my chops on my NS-CR5M EUB, which my bandleader wants me to play but is still a major challenge for me.

Aloha,

Jonathan

12. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm going to have to agree on one of the best basses in the world. Possibly the best sounding bass I have ever played. I played a blue/green fretless-marked 5-string with a PJ combo, and man it was intense. Also the B string is great, I guess it does disprove the 34" thing, I didn't know it was 34" though. I think maybe it doesn't get much love because it looks kind of weird.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Have you tried turning the bass all the way up and going to the neck pickup? I can get a good approximation of an upright like that. Not exectly the same, but good thump and no bite.

14. Yep, it sounds great on the neck pickup which mellows out the fretless bite, but with my bandleader the damage is already done. I played it for a set once and had a grand old mwahfest, and got royally chewed out.

If he sees me with it, his eyes start to roll, and it's pretty distinctive looking.

Perhaps if I strip it down to bare wood...

Aloha,

Jonathan

15. fragcon

fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    you can't get a "good deal" at guitar center. I hate that place everything is overpriced and basically USED because its on the shelf 24/7 and everyone tests the basses out and wears them out and breaks stuff on them and they still sell it for the same price.

16. davepack

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I used to think the same thing...until I got the new pentabuzz for $1850.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    That's not true at all. If you buy enough stuff there, you can get some major deals. How about Shure Beta 57A's for $90? Beta 58's for $120. Yes, I said Beta. As far as damaged basses, get your price, then see if they have one in the back. If not, have them get you a new one at the same price.

18. davepack

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Again, I'd have to agree with Munjibunga...as long as you KNOW what you need and what you should be paying for it, you can get some great deals at Guitar Centers. Granted, it's not my favorite store in the world, mainly because their stock is usually pretty bland, but you can find some bargains there.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, I've noticed they're moving away from pro-level gear in favor of entry-level. I went there ready to buy a dbx 1046 and iEQ31, and they didn't have either one anywhere within 100 miles. I ended up getting them from Rik's Musik (highly recommended) and Northern Sound and Light (also highly recommended by the guys over at ProSoundWeb).

The key is to get to know a manager, and deal only with him/her every time.

20. Tfunked

Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
    I've always had a thing for thier fretless basses.
    They sound great.