Pedulla Price markup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akajuve400g, Oct 24, 2002.

1. akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Why did Pedulla change the retail on Rapture J/2's and P/J 5's from 1999 to 2650?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say it's because they want to receive more money for each bass they sell.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    So they can secretly funnel money to the covert gov't slush fund being established for ex-Enron officers who can't currently afford to hang out with Sammy Hagar in Cabo?
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Josh Walsh is right - it's been at least two years since a major price increase. Tomorrow I’ll check my print catalog verse the website, but I believe it’s about the same.

I think you're probably confusing the different Rapture models. The single soapbar "SB" four and five-string models retail for $2,095 and $2,295 respectively, which is only $100 more than you posted for the four-string. The JJ and PJ four-strings retail for $2,395.00. The J2-5 and PJ2-5's retail for $2,595.00

The Rapture 2000's, however, are the deal in the line. For only $2,895 (retail) for a four or five string, you get an upgrade to AA flamed maple body and matching headstock, 5A birdseye maple fingerboard, choice of gold or chrome hardware and PJ or JJ pickup configuration.

(Can you tell the 2000's are my GAS bass? ;))
  5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Not sure either, maybe trying to raise the value of pedulla. I doubt that raising list price will help, but pedulla sure is hurting! They need to try and do something to create a market for them serlves again. Value used on pedulla has completely fallen out and with that makes the new instruments tuffer to sell.
  6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    a pedulla MVP 4 string sells for 800-1200 max used seems pretty low to me. I think their nice basses and well worth that used. But why so low?

Do you not see that as low considering that the majority MVP 4 string pedulla's sell for right at a grand?

Then you take its cheaper counter part, the rapture which used sells for 600-800. Prices are so close together used for instruments that are priced so far apart new.

I'm not bashing, but just pointing out the value on todays market.
  7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i just played a 5 string thunderbass.

very very nice!!!

8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I found a Rapture in Magenta, single PU at GC North Olmsted, some heavy scratching. $599!!!

It was a 4, had a bart, and needed work, so I didn't want it, but for all those who like pedulla and hate high prices... there you go!
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's a prestige thing. He charges what the market will bear.

There are plenty of up-and-coming mid-priced, small-production guys to fill the space left by guys like Pedulla. Pulcinella, Brubaker, Kinal etc.
  10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Well, some of it may be inflation. But some of it is reputation/goodwill.

I actually think the up-and-comers are looking at higher costs than the more established midpriced small-production guys. The latter have been in the business for a while and have had a longer time to learn what's efficient and what's not. They're also producing at a volume where economies of scale start to come into play.

I'm not denigrating anyone or accusing them of selling out, if that's what you're implying. Pedulla consistently makes a great bass; the goodwill that attaches to his name is a result of his hard work and diligence and therefore justifies the higher price.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Heck, Pedulla's always cool in my book. The Rapture J-2 with the coated board is my favorite fretless ever, and the Buzz is my second favorite fretless, and one of my favorite body shapes. It's a shame they don't get out more.
  12. Well as my name implies, I am a big Pedulla fan. I have three and borderline on a 4th.

Here's what I paid for them new:

95 Thunderbolt 5 (Cherry, AAA) : 1700
    96 Fretless Rapture 5 J2 (black): 1500
    '01 MVP5 (Antique Cherry Sunburst, AA): 2400

All with cases included.

There is a brandy new Pentabuzz at the GC near here for 2600, very tempting.

Regarding price increases, keep in mind that Pedulla makes about 400 basses a year, hardly a volume manufacturer. I have seen used raptures especially going for as little as 700, and used MVP5's for 1700.

But since I have no intention of selling mine, the resale value is of no concern to me. If I want another bass, I just go buy another bass.

But after having the these, I have no need for other basses. The MVP5 has about cured my GAS forever, except maybe a Pentabuzz :)

(I also have a 95 MIA Jazz 5 string, a 74 P bass, a 73 4001, and Guild BC4E and a fretless steinberger copy)
  13. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I recently got a pedulla mvp 4 here in the uk and got a superb deal.. although the main reason it was so cheap was because the seller was emigrating almost the next day!![​IMG]
  14. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    At least Pedulla doesn't have a Skyline, samik made in indonesia, Rockbass thing going on. I had a Pentabuzz. Was not very impressed with it. They are more reasonalbe then Fodera.
  15. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    But they used to.

It was called the Pedulla SeriesII or something like that. It was a bolt-on derivation of the MVP/Buzz. They even had a Bolt-on Mark Egan Signature doubleneck.

I don't remember where they were made but they were great basses too. I was going to buy one of the fretlesses but they disappeared from Guitar Center like Alembic.
  16. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Way over priced to begin with, ugly to boot, and Pedulla sounds like some tropical disease. I will stick with my Rickenbacker! But hey, if you want to spend your money on one of those things go ahead!
  17. BottomLine

Nov 17, 2002
    Rochester MI
    my first bass was a ric......great basses, but pedullas are anything but ugly!
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You must have bought one of Spike's old basses. He is a member here.

Back when the prices first increased on Pedulla, it was reported somewhere(and I can't remember where) that Michael wanted to scale back production and go back to a more 'hands on' ownership. He had been doing more and more administrative managerial stuff, and that wasn't why he originally started building instruments.

Harley Davidson philosophy. If you can't keep production up to demand, increase prices.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Ever played a Rapture or an MVP? Two of the best playing basses on the market.
  20. BottomLine

Nov 17, 2002
    Rochester MI
    The sound that comes from my Thunderbass is awesome, like the instrument is an extension of my hands.....I've tried em all and pedulla truly is worth every penny is hard!