Pedulla problems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basschair, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hi folks,

First of all, I'm the proverbial "long time reader, first time writer," or something like any rate, this is my first post, so here it goes:

I have an ET6 Thunderbass from Pedulla that I bought in 1995, and played thoroughly throughout the years. Then, it started to get a little fuzzy-sounding in the low end, which now is spread accross the spectrum, and is a pretty heavily distorted tone. Pedulla has said that it's most likely bad electronics, and that I can ship it back for either a replacement of the guts with the same, for an upgrade, or for an entirely new set of pickups and electronics. Decisions, decisions, right?

Well, now I'm beginning to wonder if I'd like to stick with it at all. I may consider selling it in order to begin compiling $$$ for a new bass. So, I'm looking for this situation, would you send it in for the fix/upgrade, perhaps a tune-up as well, and then put it on the market...or, would you consider an entirely new electronics & pickup line up, and stick with the Pedulla body? Basically, I'm looking for suggestions...I'm at a point where I'm thinking about investing more time, effort, and money into an electric bass...

At any rate, thanks for your time and help. This is a fantastic forum, and your knowledge is invaluable!
  2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Well, I have en ET5, that said, I would probably stick with it, it is a solid instrument, and definitely worth repairing. I only wish mine was a four, so it is likely to end up on the chopping block in the near future as it is neglected and lonely.
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Obviously, you have to decide if you liked the bass before the problems popped up. I can't imagine the bass will be an easy sell with the problems you describe. So I guess your next choice is do I go local or have Pedulla fix it. If you have any kind of good local guy I'd take it to him before I ship it out, It could be something very simple. The next question you have, is what is Pedulla going to charge, It will be much easier to sell, if you preface the add with, just came back from the Pedulla factory where it was overhauled. I must warn you the ET 6 is a good, maybe very good bass but the resale (as it ie for most boutique basses) is not going to be great, plus you have a unique animal (6 string) that even if you do find a buyer, it will probably take a while. Don't expect to throw it on Ebay and get 4/5 of what it sold for new. It may make more sense to keep.
  4. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Thanks for the advice so far!

Yes, these were considerations which I have made at various points. It was a great bass, and would be again. It would probably be worth more to me brought back to life and back in my hands than fixed up and sold.

I'm in the Stockton area, so close to San Francisco and Sacramento...anyone know of someone good around here for BG? I know of a few for double bass, but haven't researched the electric. Pedulla's costs were reasonable for the electronics, but a general tuneup seemed a bit steep, expecially considering shipping...
  5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Stupid Question.....(Not to call you stupid, god knows we've all done some pretty dumb things...)

Have you checked the battery/battery leads? Insufficient power to the preamp will cause this problem you describe, and a bad solder connection or bad wire could cause this. Check everything from the battery to the preamp. It might be WAY easier than you think.

That said, If Pedulla says its the preamp, I'm inclined to trust them. I would send it in to them, myself. It's definitely worth keeping, and I bet you would regret selling it.
  6. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I know what you mean about checking the most Warwick started doing the same thing, and I thought it was my amp...then I took my amp and basses down to a semi-local place and tested everything. Turns out the Warwick needed a new battery and for the J's to be lowered slightly (in comparison to the B and E tapered strings). The Pedulla kept performing with the same results, and though it may be as easy as the soldering, I don't trust my own skills. I also don't know of anyone in my area who I trust to do the work.

I'm glad that I posted on this, as I'm beginning to think it would be a bad idea to sell it... :smug:
  7. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Rather than shipping the bass to Pedulla (Mass, I think) can you just sent them the electronics to check out and/or replace?
    Then do the swap locally.
  8. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    You know, I probably could...well, anyone know a good BG guy or gal in the bay area or Sacramento?
  9. jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    My Pedulla MVP Deluxe went to sh*@ back in 1999. I got it new in 1990. Same kind of symptons as yours'. Took it to the old LA Bass Exchange and they diagnosed a bad preamp. They replaced the Bartolini pre with a Demeter and gave me a mid. cut/boost knob and stacked bass/treb. I LOVE this bass since the fix!! :D
  10. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I'll have to think about that, as LA is a 7-8 hour drive :rolleyes: from here. Still, I'm a teacher, so this summer I could do it
  11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'd keep the bass because Pedullas, especially the Et's are sweet basses. How much total did they quote you for the electronics job? What do they do for there "tune-up" that would make it such a steep charge? Shoot me a PM if you want some local guys to talk about the work you want.
  12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Really bad idea :D

Of all the basses I've sold I miss the ET-6 the most. What a tone machine. I'd mail the sucker to pedulla for an electronic overhaul, and have them do a setup and (if it needs it) a fret dressing and you'll be in business. You won't find a better bass.
  13. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I can't find the email on adjustments...not real worried on that one, as I'm sure I can find someone near me. To replace the existing electronics was $250 plus shipping, $350 to replace and upgrade. If I knew of someone who was qualified, or who others would vouch for, I'd go for ordering the parts and having it done locally.

Thanks for the offer: I'll message you in a bit (at work right now).
  14. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'd fix it. Trusty bass -- don't get caught up in the GAS shuffle.
  15. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Sounds like you've been given some good sound advice! Keep it! The electronics on a bass are absolutely the easiest fix on a bass. I can just about guarantee you that it's the pre module (if you've checked the battery/connector/output jack). If it were a neck problem or something structural then I might consider unloading it. As others have stated, with the current problem, you'd have trouble selling without having it repaired (or you'd have to deduct the cost of a new Bart pre module and installation).
  16. jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA

FYI..the LA Bass Exchange is no more. The Amp Shop on Ventura Blvd. in Tarzana is where all the old stock from the LABE is. The co-owner of the Bass Exchange owns the Amp Shop. Nice people there, but I have no idea how they handle repairs.