Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pedulla questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by warwick719, May 27, 2005.

1. warwick719

warwick719

Dec 21, 2004
    hey guys and gals,
    i currently play a warwick and want to step it up to a higher end bass. i got an offer on a pedulla rapture with soapbars picks for 1000$. i have played and i love it. but, i have a few questions before i buy and i thought i would ask yall bass experts
    1. do they retain their resale value?
    2. are they good quality or just hype
    3. what does the switch do?
    4. do you think i could get the same smooth sound if i put a full bartlini system in my warwick(pick-ups, pre-amp, and a active passive switch)

thanks,
    warwick719(ill have to change that)

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA

1. Reasonably well.
    2. As good as anything you'll ever find.
    3. I think its a low mid cut ... some kind of EQ curve ...
    4. No.

3. you can usually find rapture with soapbar pu well below $1000 on ebay

and yes, they are great and I love mine
    and I think the switch on soapbar rapture is a mid cut switch

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I have a couple. Yes, they retain their value reasonably well. High quality. I have owned many "boutique" basses and sold then when I stumbled across my 1st Rapture. The switch is a mid cut and boost. I doubt you could modify your Warwick to sound just like it.

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yea, $1000 is high ... I think I paid $1600 for a new custom built J2 5, which would be a considerably more expensive bass (actually it was more like a J2000 with a nice flame figure in the fingerboard). Talk him down to $800 then go for it!

6. They do not retain value well compared to new for some reason, but once they are used, that $800-$1000 price is pretty much good forever. Talk the seller down to $900.

I dig my rapture bigtime. I have the jazz pickups though. If by quality, you mean build quality, yes it's all that.

7. warwick719

warwick719

Dec 21, 2004
    HOW DOES THE RAPTURE COMPARE TO THE THUNDERBASS?

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thunderbass is a whole different animal ... neck through construction and very expensive. ThunderBOLT is very simmilar to a rapture but it has two bartolini soapbars and an eq switch called "thunderguts". Check out www.pedulla.com.

9. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

The J series usually hovers aorund $800 (I've owned a few) :). The single PU series is a different story... Generally speaking, they can usually be had for about $700, plus or minus a few bucks. Although, I have seen them go for as little as $450 on eBay. The colors (rather than the 2 Sunburst varities) seem to get a little more dough.

10. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Great basses. I had this J2000 5 string that I still regret sellig to this day. And I got it for $1200 brand new. :oops:

Sick birdseye maple board and custom color "Arctic Night" over a solid quilted maple body.

Kick ass bass, no doubt about it.

I'm an idiot.

Attached Files:

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I did a session one time and plugged the Rapture J2 5 into an Avalon vt-737 pre. A little compression and a tiny bass cut and both the engineer and I were floored :eek: Amazing.

The artist thought it sounded "too good" and wanted me to play my wierd Guild bass :scowl: No accounting for taste! Pedulla basses are some of the best around for direct recording.

12. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    That's a beautiful bass, Jugg. You are an idiot. :) And to Pickles, "Too Good". That's great... :confused:

13. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You know ... the "grunge" thing :rollno:

14. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i've only played rapture j2's and ive owned my thunderbass for a bit now and use it as my main axe, but FWIW i really love my thunderbass, it sounds very thick and full and can do both teh growl thing and the deep punch thing.

15. warwick719

warwick719

Dec 21, 2004
    how much did you guess pay for your thunderbasses?
    :hyper:

16. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    New they list for about $4000, but like all pedullas and most other high end basses, the moment you walk out of the shop the price seems to drop in half. I paid $1500 for my ET-6 on the used mareket, and later sold it for the same. The Bass Exchange in LA has a used one in stock and they want $1900 or so for it. They absolutely kill.

17. warwick719

warwick719

Dec 21, 2004
    is 2600 a good price for a pedulla thunderbass?[new]

18. I bought a Thunderbass ET4 (zebrawood!) used for $1250 or something like that, a few years back. I eventually traded "down" to the Rapture because it was too nice. :meh:

Really, it looked so gorgeous, it felt a little weird. I didn't want to bring it to bars, and I didn't want to explain to every new person I played with why I had such a purty bass.
    The killer though was that the sound was so gorgeous, it didn't fit in with a band well. Neckthroughs have a very pure sound, where I needed some aggressiveness. My rapture has a maple fingerboard, and is zingy as all getout. The electronics on board are very powerful, so I can start with that zing and get to almost whatever. The electronics on the thunderbass (I did have an older version) didn't seem to do much. So I went with the versatility and practicality of the Rapture. The thunderbass was really really sweet though.

19. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yes, and is worth it IMO.