Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla Rapture 2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pietzsa, Jul 22, 2000.

1. Pietzsa

Pietzsa

Mar 23, 2000
    Orange, Texas
    I was just looking at a Pedulla ad and really got GAS for this bass. Anybody ever tried one? They seem to be some of Pedulla's cheaper basses price wise.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pietzsa:
    I was just looking at a Pedulla ad and really got GAS for this bass. Anybody ever tried one? They seem to be some of Pedulla's cheaper basses price wise.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I own a 2000 Rapture J2 5 string, the only difference in mine and the Rapture 2000 is the flame on mine isn't quite as intense..

This is Pedulla's lowest priced line, but the sound is awesome(the Barts kick ass, they cover the vintage Fender Jazz sound, and with the Bart preamp, have the whole modern thing covered as well), the B string is the best I've played under $2000(Yes, the Lakland 5 is a LITTLE better), and the fit & finish on these basses compares with their high end stuff..

Great bass value, IMHO..

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

3. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    If you look back a month or two,youll find threads where this bass is discussed.I own the very first Rapture ever made.It is exactly the one reviewed in the Bass Player McCartney issue.I love it.It has by far the best definition of note, on the B string,of anything even close in price.And its not floppy.My opinion is this due to three things.The Bart.pre-amp,the Maple body,and last but not least,the volute.(Dont Laklands have an extra thick headstock-to achieve the same thing).I havent heard of this Rapture 2000.What is different?I did however play one at a store with the wider neck,(19mm?)and it was the solution to my only gripe with mine;the string spacing is just a little tight.Other guys who play mine dont have a problem with it.I just like it extra wide.Also mine just"came alive"when it was about a year old,and the body wood broke in,and started vibrating more.The bass player review said one of the pre amp settings gave "to much bass"Thats what did it for me!I knew that if it was too bassy for them,it would be perfect for just about anyone else.Since it was the very first one, I bought it sight unseen- sound unheard,and Ill never regret it.It is the only bass I bring on 99% of my gigs.(see my profile)And its nice and light!

4. embellisher

Mr Gump, another satisified Rapture owner..

You mean to tell me that this bass is going to sound even better in a few months? That's hard to imagine! [​IMG]

I love my J2 5 string, it has the wider spacing and a birdseye maple board, and like you said, this bass is very light, because of the small body and the routed cavity, but somehow they managed to make it well balanced, even though it has a huge ratio of neck to body..

I believe that the Rapture 2000 is just like mine except the body is AAA flamed.. and it has black dots instead of the abalone dots mine has..

------------------
    bill longshort

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I played a Rapture J2 at my favorite store ... you know, GC ... and loved it. When I finally decided to buy a Pedulla, I went with the Thunderbolt 5 fretless, mostly because the money tree was producing excess fruit at the time. The T-bolt has a similar style to the Rapture ... very small body but big sound, with mini-soapbar Bartolinis instead of the J-style pickups. All in all, I'd say you'd have a tough time doing better than the Rapture 2000.

6. embellisher

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Munjibunga:
    &lt;snip&gt; All in all, I'd say you'd have a tough time doing better than the Rapture 2000.&lt;snip&gt;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too true, for the price..

Munji, I got a heck of a deal on my Rapture, but I'm jealous of that Thunderbolt.. Is the board bare wood or is it poly like on the Buzz?

------------------
    bill longshort

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bare wood ... sorta. I think it has a ploy/oil coating, but not one of those hard finishes. I had LABX slap a set of Thomastik Jazz Flats on it, and between the strings and the bass, I can't imagine a better fretless tone ... even from a PentaBuzz.

8. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Anyone try a Rapture with the P/J P/ups?
    I played a 5 string at the brand new GC in my town and prior to this I wouldn't have considered another bass with a maple fretboard,but the Barts really put out a warm tone.Its also the best "B" I've tried so far.

9. embellisher

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimM:
    Anyone try a Rapture with the P/J P/ups?
    I played a 5 string at the brand new GC in my town and prior to this I wouldn't have considered another bass with a maple fretboard,but the Barts really put out a warm tone.Its also the best "B" I've tried so far.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Jim, I haven't seen the P/J flavor yet, but regarding the B, the only I've found that was noticeably better was a $3500 Lakland..

------------------
    check out my basses on my gear page! http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/robson/1174/music/gear.html

bill longshort

10. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    Hey gentlemen,

Wow! I'm glad I found this thread, your comments have been really helpful. I'm shopping for a new axe after playing the same one for 12 years! I spent 2 hours yesterday in GC going back between a Fender Am. Stand 4 string and a Pedulla J2 5 string. I kind of feel like I should make the jump to a 5 string in this day of million string basses and it's good to hear your similar thoughts on how great the Pedulla's 'b' string is and the bass in general. At first I was a little scared off on the wider neck but I imagine that must make slapping a lot easier. How do you think the resell value of Pedullas are? Anyone?

Squid

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Pedullas are considered professional player basses; their resale values can come close to original street prices, so a used Rapture in exc.+ condition typically sells between $700-$800 (I've seen higher) and a exc.+ used thunderbass goes for around $1100-1500. However, I've never seen a Pedulla appreciate in value the way some of the '70s Fenders have. It'll be interesting to see whether in 20 years time we'll be shelling out $2000 for a "vintage" '97 Roscoe Beck.

As far as playability, tone and build quality are concerned, I think Pedulla beats Fender hands down. The small-bodied Rapture practically plays itself.

12. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've always loved Pedulla basses; I have family in Rockland, MA where they're made. I'm seriously considering the Rapture J5 or a Thunderbolt 6. The B strings are some of the best I've found on 34" basses, and the fit and finish are impressive. I tried the P-J5 briefly and it sounded very warm and fat. Check out Pedulla's website; the Rapture 2000 will be replacing the older Rapture, and the list price for the 2000 model is $500 more. They said that among other things, the higher price will encompass the inclusion of higher-grade figured wood, custom finishes, and a maple fingerboard.

13. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    While we are on the Rapture subject, a question. After using my Lakland as my main bass, I wanted to adjust my Rapture with lower relief (trying to get the same feel). When I removed the trussrod cover, I couldn't figure out what tool to use. Granted these old eyes aren't good for close up work anymore, but if it requires a hex head tool, the trussrod must be rounded. Hard to believe this is the case cuz' the previous owner took immaculate care of it. Any ideas? Nope, didn't get the owners manual.

As for the Rapture, mine is not a J2, but I sure can get a lot of great sounds from it - from booming lows to brittle highs. Fantastic bass for the price. If you only use the B string occasionally there really isn't any need to spend more $.

14. embellisher

It's your decision of course, but I would not take a regular hex head adjuster to that truss rod. It's a hex but the hex part starts about 2-3mm down from the tip, at least on mine.

You can buy the owner's kit for the bass, which includes the trussrod wrench and an owner's manual. Get the ordering info at http://www.pedulla.com/htdocs/whatsnew.html

It costs $20.00, but that's a small price to pay to get the correct tool to adjust a $1500 bass. After all, if you strip the nut then you will be looking at a lot more than $20 if you ever wanted to adjust your truss rod again.

If you bought the bass new, it is supposed to come with this, Guitar Center is notorious for not including things like this when you buy a bass from them. I had to make the store manager go in the back and look for my kit when I bought my Rapture.

I like my action a little higher than some people for a fuller tone, and had no problems getting the 3/4 turn I needed to raise mine a little.

15. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Sorry I took so long to get back,but yes Embellisher-it does get better!It seems to have gone through two changes.One at about a year,the sustain got better and the A and D string range seemed to open up.And at about 2 to 21/2 years the E and to a lesser degree the B string opened up.Its almost like it "breathes deeper"I dont know how else to describe it.Even my guitar player noticed the first changes.(without us discussing it).By the way,maybe one of you guys could answer my Pedulla question.Since I have the first one, some production details were foggy.I currently use nickel DRs with a 130.B-string.
    When I got my Rapture,it had a 128 B-string.The string (B only)was wrapped in brown silk.Pedulla says they dont know what it was,the store I got it from says they didnt change the strings.And Bass Player magazine(who used mine for their review)says they didnt put them on.The people at Bass player did have a "couldnt be bothered attitude".Do any of you guys know what they are?

16. embellisher

I don't know, MrGump. Mine came with the Pedulla strings, with taperwound BEA strings.. I had never been a big fan of taperwounds, but the B abd E strings on this baby are so awesome that I am keeping the Pedulla strings on it. Only problem is, they are a little hard to find.

Uhhh - correction on the hex head, it is actually a square head adjuster, like a drum key would fit, only smaller size. But, like I originally said, I would pay the $20.00 and get the tool from Pedulla. No sense in screwing up a nice bass :(

BTW - I finally saw a Rapture 2000 in person at GC, the flame is nice, but it was tagged $750 more than I paid for mine, and they weren't very negotiable either, so I guess I'm happy I got the deak I did :D!

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Man, i MUST be in a class all of my own...I hate the B on Pedullas! Floppyfloppyfloppy. I was so intrigued because you all liked it so much, so i was thinking id go try it out...for a backup 5 string. I picked it up, plucked it once...wubwubwubwubwubwub. It was brand new. Strings were not dead, and it wasnt detuned. It was, well, horrible. I was disappointed. They had two there. I tried both. Ick. and they had a thunderbass. Better, but still not what it sound be. I was sad. But i DID discover what had to be the tightest B for under like $2000....an Ibanez BTB! HOLY SH!tMA!That was the TIGHTEST B ive ever heard! With exception of my Modulus, of course. Wow. I was STUNNED. Ive played the 4 string, but not the 5. I tried it, out of shear curiousity...woooowwwww. Incredible. And the pickups where good! Two firsts for Ibanez! Wait, theres more! It was comfortable, not cheap feeling, and NOT a skinny neck! Wow! Whee!

18. embellisher

Man, that's strange, Angus. I've never played a Pedulla 5 or 6 with a floppy B. I've played Raptures, Thunderbasses, Penta and HexaBuzzes, Thunderbolts and MVPs, never found a floppy B on a single one.

Maybe It's your part of the country, like here in Dallas we can't find any Fender 5s with a decent B, other than a Roscoe Beck.

I've played Modulus Quantums and Genesis, and the B may be a tad tighter, but not much IME.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I went to Guitar Center today, just to see what was new. The only bass in the place with a decent setup was a $3000 Pedulla. The Raptures all had high action. I'm not sure how to describe the B's other than not appealing. Pretty sure a major part of that was setup. I've played some pretty nice Raptures before.

The only new Fenders were MIM, the rest seemed to be at least two years old. They were asking $1600 for a used TRB6P. Not sure what they're smoking...

Contrary to what some think, my experience with Pedulla as far as resale value goes is, they drop pretty well. Buy one because you like it, not as an investment.

20. embellisher

Pedullas do not hold their value near like a Fender or a pre-Gibs*n Tobias.

You can get a AAA PentaBuzz for around $1000 - $1200, and these go for $2995 list, out the door around $2000 - $2300, so Pedullas, while IMHO great basses, are terrible investments.

I never sell anything, but if you're the type that does, don't buy a Pedulla unless you plan on keeping it. Same thing goes for a lot of basses, I've seen $5000 list Ken Smith 6's for $1700 - $2000 in great shape, and Carvins are the king of losing resale value.

Fenders are probably the best, especially long term.