Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla Rapture 4 Balance Problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Larzito, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a Pedulla Rapture 4 string with the single Bart soapbar. It seems I can never get it to sound right. If I adjust the pickups to the 1/8" from the strings as recommended on the Pedulla site, the sound is more balanced string to string, but it sounds thin and has no bottom end. I get a pleasing fatter sound by raising the pickups and boosting the bass knob almost all the way. The E and A strings are warm and fat, but the D and G strings virtually disappear.

I have thought about a Bart quad coil (couldn't find it on their most recent site...but I THINK I've seen it in the past.). The concept would be to wire the two E and A string coils in series and the two D and G string coils in series. Each coil set would have a trim pot to balance their outout levels. They would then be wired in series again to the volume pot.

Two questions. One, anyone else experience the string balance problem with the Rapture?

Two, anyone ever wired a quad coil config like my crazy idea above?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Any Bart I've ever had was very well balanced. Some lack bass and some are nothing but bass it seems. Not familiar with that Bass or pup but a soapbar can have any kind of winding in it, and Bart singles can be pretty thin on the low end.

I know Bart has quad J's but I haven't had a Bart quad soap.

Heavier gauge or different kind of string on low end can have the same affect as raising the pups there and may be an option.

Typically, significantly boosting any band will have a tendency to wash the others out (especially bass and mids) and for me is not a good sign that I have a pup I'd keep if everything else is in line. Unless it of course produces the desired results.

I'd also do a google search for reviews on that bass and see if others have had a similar experience. If so, you might find your fix in there as well. If there are no complaints about lacking bass or expressions of ample bass, I'd look for factors besides the pup.