Pedulla Rapture 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 25, 2002.

1. I might want to pick up a Rapture 5 fretless at some point, but I've not played a Rapture so I don't know what the necks are like. Would any owners care to describe theirs? Would my huge-palmed stubby-fingered hands be happy on its neck?
  2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I wish I could say I'm an owner of one of those beauties, but I have spent a good deal of time drooling/lusting/playing them in various stores as well as trading a few emails with Pedulla customer service (wonderful people!), and I can tell you that there are two different sptring spacings available on the Rapture series - 17.5 and 19 mm (at the bridge). Odds are if you like wider spacing/larger necks the 19mm would be for you - I dig the 17.5's myself.
  3. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    what about the pentabuzz? i think u'll have a new found appreciation after playing one....;)
  4. I don't think a Pentabuzz is really for me. I don't like Mark Egan's tone at all, and he's the archetypal Buzz user. I prefer the sound of a fretless Music Man-style bass, with a humbucker in the sweet spot.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes, the Raptures are by far a sweet bass. Especially in the Dark Blue quilt. But, for my money, I have to have my Pentabuzz. It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine*

*in a loooooooong time :(
  6. The Rapture? I've heard that it's a V; maybe they changed it.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Peter, my Rapture J2 5 has a soft V profile. Very shallow near the sides of the fingerboard, and medium depth at the V. I have pretty good sized palms and stubby fingers, and the neck feels wonderful to me. The only 5 string neck that I like better is the Zon Sonus. I have the optional 19mm bridge spacing, which is handy for slap, if you are into that.
  8. Nah, I don't slap nearly as often as most players my age ( :rolleyes: ), and I'm looking into a fretless anyway.

From doing some more research, I think a Music Man Stingray 5 or maybe a Warwick FNA 5 fretless might better suit my needs, since I'd like to play with roundwounds (I want mwah, but not the '80s smooth jazz BWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH for which Buzz Basses are known).

Jeff, I'm surprised that a guy with big palms and short fingers would like a Sonus 5 neck. I hate it. I hate it, and its skinny ilk, with every fiber of my being.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Peter, maybe my palms aren't quite as big as yours, although they are very large for me having such short fingers. The only thing that I would change about my Zon's neck is to make it a little wider. I love the 19mm string spacing. But the profile is perfect, for me. Different strokes, ya know.;)

I've never seen a Rapture fretless, although before I bought the Zon I entertained the idea of ordering one. I like the Buzz tone, though, and would have ordered it with the optional($$$) poly finish.
  10. CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    HI Embellisher,
    I would like to clarify something.I remember reading your review of a Peavey Cirrus 5 string.I think you said that the Cirrus's neck felt more comfortable than the Pedulla,and nearly as good as your Zon.But in your quote here,you did not mention the Cirrus.Am I missing something?

11. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    The buzz is versatile for sure. My tone sounds nothing like Mark Egan, I should send you some MP3's but I doubt you can hear my bass.

Just try one out. You never know. I don't like Mark Egan at all and my penta doesn't sound like his tone so..... just my 22cents.
  12. hey pete, if you dont like tight string spacing, you better be careful with the stingray 5: It has a nut width of 1.75'' and a 2.75'' width at the 22nd. I know your FBB has noticeable wider string spacing (at least at the 22nd.) Of the few 5-strings ive played, I seem to like 3'' or 2.875'' at the last fret and 1.875'' at the nut, and i really don't have big hands; my middle finger is ~3 2/3 inches long. Tell me if i'm wrong though; i usually am lol :D