Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla Rapture 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akajuve400g, Aug 16, 2002.

1. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    I was wondering your thoughts on the Pedulla Rapture 5 string. Is it good for rock and metal. What about slap? And what would be a good deal I could get it for when I go to the dealer? They said around 1900 but I think I can get it lower. I would really apreciate some input. Thanx

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think you can talk street prices down to $1500 new, and $900 or thereabouts used. (Two or three years ago, it would have been $300 less, but these things have been gaining a fair amount of word-of-mouth prestige.)

It's a downsized jazz with active stuff, so it's a great bass for just about anything.

3. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    I am talking about the j2 5 string w/ the barts. It reatails for 2500. I can get it down to 1500?

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Well, that's probably the best you can do. More likely would be $1750 (standard 30% knockdown).

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They raised the retail price on these 2 years ago. Back when I bought mine, they listed for $1995, and I got mine for $1169:eek:.:D I got the wideneck option, I love 19mm spacing at the bridge. And the birdseye maple fingerboard looks pretty nice too. All in all, the second best super Jazz 5 that I have ever played. Only a Sadowsky beats it, IMHO.

$1700 - $1750 is about the best you are going to do new, unless you find a store that has had one for a long time and wants to move it.

6. I got my 1999 Rapture (soapbar pickup) for $995. The local guitar center here in Indianapolis has a used J2 for around 1500 and two NEW ones for $2000

7. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    picked up this baby on ebay a while back - verrry nice bass, and comfortable to play!

8. embellisher

Hey, that looks just like mine! ::double checks wall hanger to make sure Rapture is stil there::

Very nice. I know I love mine.

9. If I were to purchase a mid-priced (1300-1900) five-string bass, it would either be a rapture or a stingray. Best B strings you can get in that range. Wonderful tone. I have heard the rapture in a prog/funk trio and it sounded great!
    ~Ad

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I'm personally always GAS for a Pedulla Rapture (Right Jeff? ;))

But yeah, those are FANTASTIC basess and i LOVE the tone. too bad im not good enough to use it (also my Zon)

11. Pedulla... * uNf! * * drool *

12. embellisher

You're good enough to use it, man. I hope to be as good as you, someday.

13. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    Well I got my Rapture yesterday for 1500 with case. It has P/J style pups. I thought it was a little more punchy than the rapture w/ J J style pups. It is great for slapping!

14. embellisher

$1500, eh? You did good! Where are the pics?!?!?!?:D

What color did you get?

I wish that the P/J had been an option when I bought mine. I want a 5 string P bass really badly,n and the Rapture is a good one. I have even considered ordering a P/J 2000, although I have a silly rule about not owning 2 basses that are that similar.

15. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    I can't post pictures cause I don't have a digital camera. It is Peacock blue with a white pearloid pickguard. I got such a good deal cause the GC in New Orleans couldn't sell them so they were gonna send them back to the factory. They weren't even on display. I just by chance asked about pedullas. They had previously been asking for 2100 for it. I probably could have gotten a hundred or two knocked off but I was glad to get it at that price. I got the case with it. I can actually play faster on it than my corvette std 5 string and it has a warmer tone. So I am pretty happy about it.

16. embellisher

Did that price include the case? If so, you got a smokin' deal! Why couldn't they sell them? Lack of interest, or some kind of problem with Pedulla?

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Kiddies want their Warwicks.

The GC in Portlant Or. (Eric, near the Klackamas mall) had a MVP, a Buzz, Two Rapture J-2s and a Thunderbolt 5er for about two years, last time I was there. Same basses, not rotated stock. It's a shame, if I had the money I woulda made an offer on the Thunderbolt or the MVP 5er.

18. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    Yeah I got the case too. Nobody at the gc wanted to buy the pedullas so they were sending them back. I kinda lucked out.