1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedulla rapture battery life

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stinkiusminkius, May 12, 2006.

1. Hello, probably a bit of a stupid question, but hey...

I've recently bought a Pedulla Rapture PJ active bass.

Just wondering if anyone knows how long the battery roughly lasts for?

Also, what happens when the battery runs out of power. Is there some sort of sign (sound change, quietening, crackling, etc) when its getting near the end, or does it just cut out?)

Cheers

Stink

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You'll start getting weak output and distortion before it goes, but not long before. Keep a spare 9v in your gig bag and you're set.

Batteries should last quite a while, months or years, in an active bass. Make sure you unplug the bass when you're not playing it, since the battery is being drained any time a cord is plugged in to the output jack.

3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    +1 to pickles' response. fwiw, I own two Pedullas, a Thunderbolt and a Buzz. Both have the bart pre, but I believe they're different than the one in the Rapture. With my average playing time (daily practice, one rehearsal per week and two to three gigs per month), i can easily get 6 months out of a battery without any deterioration in signal quality. My advice would be to replace it every six months. Be sure to use a quality battery like Duracell. It's not a huge expense, and it beats having to unscrew the compartment cover during a gig. One more thing, Pedullas will have no output once the battery goes. There is no "passive" mode.

Oh yeah, enjoy your Rapture! Nice bass!

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My rapture had a pop-up battery compartment ... if yours does then pre-emptive battery changes are probably not neccesary, depending on how "critical" your gigs are. If you're playing a showcase at a big club and its been a year since you changed the battery, then it is a good idea. Otherwise its a 30 second swap out of things start going south :cool:

5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    D'oh! You're right, the Rapture does have the pop-up compartment. My bad.

6. Cheers folks. Top advice all round.

I was going to carry a spare anyway, but now I have a better idea of when I may need to change, and the warning signs.

And it is a delicious bass. :)

7. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Get a lithium 9v if you can find one. They last about 5 times longer. You can get 2 years out of one easily. $10 a pop I think.