Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla Rapture J2 - Needs better Preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by parsonsj, Apr 7, 2005.

1. parsonsj

parsonsj

Apr 7, 2005
    Does anyone know the best way to add some gain to the Rapture J2 without using an external pre-amp? I am running through an Ashdown ABM900 with Bergantino cabs (Ht322), so I have enough raw wattage and cab throughput. If I plug in other basses, the volume is there, but with the Rapture J2, I have to dial the amp's gain up to the top! And yes, I've checked the preamp on the bass (9v) and it seems okay.

Any ideas? Should I drop the stock Bart J2's and go with some new pickups / preamp on the bass?

THANKS - jj

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Most bart preamps have a trimpot on the preamp that adjusts the gain, so you should be able to make that adjustment pretty simply. Unscrew the pickguard, take the strings off, lift the pickguard off.
    Should be a trim pot on the preamp unit, adjust to taste and you should be set

3. Gastón

Gastón

Nov 28, 2004
    Spain
    I think the same that parsonsj, my pedulla doesn´t got the trimpot, so i recently i decid to upgrade the electronic. I bought the NTMB Bartolini preamp( i will receive next week), the controls are:
    - Volume (with Acitve/Passive push-pull)
    - Blend
    - Mid (push pull freq selector)
    - Treble/Bass Stack.

I will record some clips with the both rpeamps and i upload,and you can hear the difference. :bassist:

See ya!

Gastón

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The J2 I had with standard electronics had plenty of output. Are you using and "active" input or an input pad on the amp?

5. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Perhaps your bass has a poor setup on it? (ie the pickups are sitting too low beneath the strings to get adequate volume). The pickups and electronics in the Raptures are top notch and you should not have any problems with them volume-wise

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    are you sure on that, every rapture I've seen has the trimpot
    good luck, be interested to hear how it goes. I considered something like that with the rapture I had, but I found it to be an awfully tight fit in the cavity for the ntmb preamp.

7. Gastón

Gastón

Nov 28, 2004
    Spain
    Hi everybody! I finally change pedulla preamp...The bass sound very good, very much punchy! The problem i found its the installation, a very little space for 2 boxes of NTMB.

The passive sound its briiliant!! I love it!:D :bassist:

davidmwilson:My old preamp didnt have the trimpot:crying: i dont know why

8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Dave, my Rapture doesn't have the trimpot either. To my knowledge, only the single-pup Raptures do, as opposed to the models with two J-style pickups.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    every J rapture and P/J I've seen has the preamp with trimpot, but I can't remember if I've seen one before 1999 or not