Pedulla Rapture... Love at first sight!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 20, 2005.

1. I just recently was "turned on" to Pedulla basses, and instatly fell in love with the Rapture. The very simple lines of this bass just speak to me, and the pickguard... Man o man, that thing is bad ass!

So, tell me your stories about the Pedulla Rapture bass! What does it play like? Is it worth that 2k sticker price? Would you buy another one if something happend to yours?

2. Worth the price? Heck no.

Decent instrument to buy used for a bargain price? Heck yeah.
  3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    one month ago in a Jazz festival i hear one in action and the bass sound was blowing ears,outstanding bass,i rebember the sound very clearly in my mind.
  4. just wait till you play one, heck I'd buy another one in black with pearloid guard in a heart beat if I had extra money
  5. Let me refine my comment to an extent:

The Rapture bass is okay - I really didn't think it was too special. However, one of my old professors had a Pentabuzz with a coated fretless board. It sounded fantastic.

Also, I can corroborate, Mike is a really nice guy.

Either way, try it before you take the plunge.
  6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Worth the price? Absolutely - IMO, the Rapture is the best sub-2K Jazz-styled bass on the market, and the "2000" upgrade makes it that much better and not far over 2K. I think it can hang with Sadowsky, Lull, and the best of them. Plus, Mike, Christine and company are wonderful people to deal with. :D
  7. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    the Rapture J2 models are awesome. Pedulla basses in general are great. My next bass will probably be a rapture j2 to compliment my thunderbass. they're fast to play, comfy, sound great, and look sleek!
  8. Hi Ryan,

I've had a Rapture 5 (single pickup) since 1997, and it has been my main gigging bass since I got it.

Whether it is worth the money or not depends on your preferences.

Pedullas are well-made, light, balanced, and easy to play. It's a very ergonomic instrument. I really like how the Rapture feels when sitting, or on a strap.

The single pickup model has a voice that sounds a bit like a StingRay, but is more refined in nature, without the aggressive edge. The J2 sounds more like a modern Jazz.
  9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  10. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I find the same. Mine has low action, great sound, impressive build quality, killer looks - heck - its pink :D!

11. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah I love my new Tuxedo style Rapture JJ2 5, the neck is wonderful to play so fast but really really comfortable.

The bass is really light and dream to have one for hours on end.

I'd say you can't go wrong with a Pedulla EVER.

Check my family pic :D

12. How would some of you owners say a Pedulla Rapture holds up against, lets say a Warwick Corvette?

Tone?... Playability?... Construction?...

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I've owned a rapture J-2000.
    Rapture- fretless with single pickup.
    And a Pentabuzz.
    Mikes basses a top of the line.
    Of the three basses I've owned, I dug the Rapture with single Bart pickup the best?
  14. One of my main pet peaves or obsessions with basses, is a sleek contoured body, like the Corvettes and thumbs have. Does Pedulla make contoured bodies like Spectors, Warwick, and (*gulp*) Ergodynes???

I wear my basses higher, because it gives me better accuracy when playing.

15. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The back is flat with a belly cutaway.
  16. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've loved every Pedulla I've ever played. Penta/Hexabuzzes have been on my GAS list for quite some time, and I'd love to own a Rapture if I found one on the used market at the right time. Only you can decide if it's worth the price, but for what it's worth, it's right for me.
  17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The quality is just as high, but the feel and sound are very different! The rapture J2 is a nice bass but does NOT sound like a fender jazz. The small maple body gives it a very different response. A sadowsky doesn't even really sound like a jazz, but its closer than the rapture.
  18. As I said in my previous post, it is a very ergonomic design. I have found the Rapture to be an exceptionally comfortable bass to play.

The body is lightweight and well balanced. The bass melds nicely with your body whether you are sitting or standing.
  19. porteous

porteous Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Berkeley, CA
    I found my Rapture J2 at a Guitar Center for $1400.. I was just in the store buying strings, and noticed the teal with white-pearl pickguard J2 on the wall. I decided to try it out, and within minutes realized that I would not be leaving the store without it. Best all-around jazz-style bass I've played- mainly because it's so damn comfortable. Light, lithesome body, great neck feel, very versatile. the Bartolini pickups and preamp are dead quiet but with a lot of punch. I used to think my Sadowsky NYC was going to be my main axe, but now I've sold it for almost twice what I paid for the Pedulla!