1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedulla Rapture P/J 5 String good Deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Naveed Afzal, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Ive been looking for a 6strng for awhile and i cant find one that tickles my fancy. The Yamaha TRBs are the closest, but im not going to settle for that.

So im thinking of purchasing this Pedulla Rapture P/J New for 1600, one guy bought it for 2 days, and brought it back, saying he didnt think it was a professional grade bass. (Whatever) Its about a year old.

Like I said its a P/J with bartolini Pickups, im not sure what the body wood is, but i believe the neck is birdseye maple atleast thats what it looks like from the grains i see.

2. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    The rapture's are really good, and somewhat underrated basses.

That new price sounds like what the normal asking price at GC.

Buy the same bass used and save over $600 though.

3. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Hi Naveed. I am a huge Pedulla fan. I have a Rapture J-2000-5 (my overall favorite bass of the 20 I've owned) and a ThunderBolt 6. If you are looking for a 6 I'd recommend checking out the ThunderBass(neck through) and ThunderBolt. You can get Pedulla 5/6s in either 17mm or 19mm bridge spacing. I prefer 19mm for 5s (that's what my Rapture has) and 17mm for 6s (which my ThunderBolt has. A few weeks ago Bass Northwest had a used ThunderBass 6 for $1700. New Jersey Guitar & Bass Center has a ThunderBolt 6 listed for $1295 http://members.aol.com/njgtrbass/pedulla.htm

It's not clear from your post--is the P/J Rapture being sold "as new with warranty" by a dealer or in "like new" condition by a private seller? In the former case $1600 is a good price especially if it has a fancy top--there's a black Rapture at my local Guitar Center for $2069.

If it's being sold by a private party the price I've seen used Raptures sell for is in the $900 to $1100 range depending on #of strings, condition, pickup config and wood grade. There's a sunburst J-J on eBay right now with case, bidding starts at $950. There's also a Rapture 4 on eBay that was owned by the guy from Muse that's currently around $2000 but in that case you're just paying for its history and celebrity aura. There was a Guitar Center auction for a J-J 5 for $1300 a few weeks ago that closed without any bids.

The body wood on the Rapture (and all other Pedullas, though some have exotic wood tops) is maple and most of the maple FBs I've seen are birdseye. Pedullas are most certainly professional-grade instruments but of course not every bass appeals to every player. If you get the P-J and later decide to sell it please contact me. Hope this helps!

4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    What was he thinking? Pedullas are killer basses! I own two (Thunderbolt and Buzz). I live about an hour from Mike's shop, and I've visited there a couple of times. Mike has been putting out world-class basses for over 30 years. His customer service is second to none. I believe the body wood on the Rapture is maple. You can find out more at www.pedulla.com

Now go get that bass before someone else does!

5. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I've owned three Raptures, two four string models that I sold (only because I had Chris Stambaugh make me custom fours) and I currently own a five, all with a single Bart soapbar. The one thing that may work in your favor in a retail situation is that they just don't seem to move very fast. So you may be able to do a little dickering on that price, because they probably know that they tend to hang on the wall for a good while. So if you like that one, see if you can get them to come down on the price, because it has been in somebody's hands and you won't be the first one to take it out of the store. If you decide to hold off, watch eBay. I got the used fiver there for less than $900, and it's in mint condition; the resale on Raptures seems way underpriced for some reason. Don't know why. They're great basses, definitely professional instruments and the only production basses I would really feel comfortable buying at this point. I'm in the Pittsburgh area, too, so if it's GC, you might get them to move a bit on that number. Good luck.