Pedulla Rapture P/J bright sounding bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Type-55, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Need some feedback on this bass. The maple body concerns me. It would have a rosewood fingerboard. I'm a alder/rosewood kind of guy in terms of tone. Any Rapture owners want to chime in here?
  2. subtomic

Sep 29, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I actually have a Rapture JJ 5 string with a maple freboard, and the bass is still very mellow sounding, especially once the roundwound strings lose their initial zing. And if you roll off the highs (active), it gets very dark sounding. So I don't think you'd find it over bright. If you put some flats on it and keep the highs either mid-way or all the way off, you should be able to get the sound you're looking for.
  3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Have a Rapture J-2000.
    Very Jazz bass sounding.
    Have played the PJ- Rapture.
    The p-pickup give it more of a P-bass sound, but still with the Jazz pickup in bridge. A little darker.
    Also there is thet single pickup Rapture, it's the darkest, less bright soundings of all the raptures.
    I like the single pickup Rapture the best, even though I don't own one right know.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had a P/J 5 string Rapture, didn't think it was overly bright at all.

LizzyD also owned this bass after me, she has some mp3's of tracks recorded with it.
  5. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Where would these files be located?
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't know, maybe pm/email her?
  7. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Just played one of those a guitar store in CT and really liked it. A lot of variety with the EQ section. Cool axe. Not too bright at all.
  8. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    FWIW, I own two all maple Pedulla basses. One is the Thunderbolt (maple body/bolt-on maple neck/birdseye maple board) with Bart soapbars. The other is a Buzz bass (neckthrough/3 pc. maple neck/maple wings/coated fretless ebony board/ Bart p/j). I would not classify either of these basses as bright. I think the Bart pups and pre have a complex midrange response that gives these basses a very warm tone. YMMV.
  9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I just got a Rapture J 2000 5 a few days ago...check it out.

I have played several other J-Js and I also have played the P-J version (maple FB). Both models can get a warm, barky tone, even with steel roundwounds, maple body, and maple fretboard. I find the 2 band EQ surprisingly versatile and the bridge PU is very fat for a J--no need for a bass boost.

In a side-by-side I preferred the J-J over the P-J for my uses--it was just as fat as the P-J but a little more clear. The J-J sounded great no matter where the EQ was set whereas I felt I had to keep fiddling with the EQ on the P-J when I moved the blend knob. Just my .02. I would definitely consider adding a rosewood P-J or single HB Rapture to my arsenal if I found a good deal on one.