Pedulla Rapture PJ5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazz3625tonic, Aug 7, 2004.

1. jazz3625tonic

Sep 28, 2003
    :help: I'm looking at a used Pedulla Rapture PJ 5...I looked for some reviews but no luck. Anyone own or played one of these? I would like to hear all...... good or bad. (I'm sure I would anyway! :>) Also, The Thunderbass 5 ET. I read a couple of poor reviews at another website along with a couple of good reviews. Anyone own or played one of these? I play through an Eden WT400 & an Avatar 2x12. I like thick warm tone with tight mid punch. (don't we all.. lol) but I also want to be able to sculp the tone if need be. Thanking all in advance, Mike
  2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Before I bought my F-Bass BN5 2 years ago I did a lot of comparison shopping both above and below the ~$2500 mark. I played a wide variety of Ken Smith, MTD, Zon, Music Man, Alembic, Modulus, Spector, Fender, Lakland, Warwick, Yamaha, Mike Lull, and Pedulla basses. I wanted a warm, woody tone with a complex midrange and versatile EQ.

For me, the top 3 (in order) were F-Bass, Pedulla Rapture J 2000/5, Pedulla Rapture PJ5. I wish the Raptures had a passive option and I have mixed feelings about the pickguard, but they were very comfy and playable, and sounded great. I slightly preferred the sound of the JJ Rapture to the PJ--I thought the PJ could have used a midrange EQ band while the JJ was fine without.

I've never owned a Pedulla (though they're on my GAS shortlist) but they seem to be really solid, and they've always sounded remarkably good live and recorded. They also seem to depreciate quite a bit, making them a particularly good deal (for the buyer) on the used market.
  3. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I owned a few Pedullas up until very recently. The Raptures play and sound great, very thin and wide fretboard feel. I decided to go a different route based on a few things that I won't get into here but I can't speak badly about the tone of the Rapture PJ5 that I had.
  4. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i never played an thunderbass et5, but i own a pedulla thunderbass t5. i love the tone, the look, the action is good, but not super low, has great sustain but its definitely not as punchy as the rapture's ive played.
  5. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I own a Pedulla Pentabuzz. It's one of the nicest fretless basses I've ever played. I know it's a different model, but the craftmanship, sound, and playability are outstanding, so I assume all Pedulla's instruments are the same.
    Just play the bass you're looking at and see if you like it, make sure it's the sound and feel you're looking for, and if so, I don't think you can go wrong with a Pedulla.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have a PJ5 Rapture I got a while ago. As people have said, they're great basses - lightweight, nice neck.

With the bart pups/preamp, the sound is slightly tame in the high end to my ears. But it still sounds great.
  7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I've owned two Pedulla's.
    Fretless 4-string Buzz bass.
    Rapture J-2000-5
    Mike's basses are solid, extremely well made, and
    play like butter. Great necks.
    I sold the Buzz, although it played great. I did not like the pickups.
    The J-2000, with wide 19mm. spacing, birdseye maple neck and fingerboard. is a great live bass.
    I've played the PJ rapture, and like it alot.
    My fav though is the single pickup Rapture, I just like sound and simplisity, of that bass.
    You can't go wrong with a Pedulla, for the money.
  8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    My buddy has a Thunderbass, and IMO, it's one of the thickest sounding basses that I have heard, especially when you engage the "Thunderguts" feature.

I have played my Raptor basses with PJ/JJ/MM configuration, and I have liked them all. The neck felt especially nice, and the bass was extremely light.

I'd love to pick up either bass someday!
  9. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I currently own a Rapture J2000 5. I cannot say enough good things about it. The tone is the best, its lightweight and feels good in my hands, 19mm spacing at bridge is great, plusit looks sweet. I've tried the PJs-same body, weight, etc. Sounded very good. I just prefer the jazz pickup sound.
  10. elkkid2

elkkid2 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Rio Vista, Ca
    Are those made in the USA?
  11. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I had a thunderbass ET5 for years. Absolutely solid bass in every way. The best way I can describe their sound is very full. They have a lot of presence to them. What is most impressive about Mike's basses is that they are on the same level of quality as sadowsky but the resale is horrible. So if you shop a little you can get a thunderbass for less than a metro sadowsky on the used front
  12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I agree, for some reason Pedulla never held there resale value.
    They are a great bass.
  13. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Since I posted in this thread 10 years ago I've gotten two Raptures: a J-J 5 string and a single-HB 4.
    They're my two favorite basses of all that I've owned--great tone and playability, and they sound excellent no matter what kind of strings--nickel, steel, round, flat, whatever.
  14. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Yes. All Pedullas are made by Mike all by himself. By the way, I have 3 now...
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to own a J2 five. Great bass, impeccable craftsmanship. Didn't care for the "polite" tone of the Bart pickups and preamp, that's the only reason I sold it.