Pedulla Thunderbass T-6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBoy1978, May 16, 2001.

Should I get this bass?

Poll closed May 21, 2001.
  1. You're out of your mind if you don't!

4 vote(s)
  2. This could be a good buy for you...

4 vote(s)
  3. Whatever.

5 vote(s)
  4. Are you insane? Buy a Soundgear!

0 vote(s)
  1. BassBoy1978

May 16, 2001
    I just found this bass on ebay.

I'm interested in it because a friend told me Pedullas are very good, though I haven't played one. I've been thinking of getting a six string, and I know these are supposed to be good.

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me if this is a good six string to get and if it looks like a good deal. It looks great, but I'm not sure how much I should bid if I want to get it.

2. jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    The current price would be a KILLER deal, BUT I WOULD NOT buy that bass if the truss rod can't be adjusted. It may be fine where he is, but if you live where your weather changes you are begging to have a bass that looks and sounds great, and will even play great for about half the year. As soon as the humidity changes you may have a bass that is useless. Pedulla necks tend to be very responsive, both to the truss rod, and to weather changes. A note if you do buy the bass, try the truss rod, and remember that it is backwards from most, that you will run across.
  3. If you can get it at a good price, go for it. The truss rod situation can be repaired, and you'll still have a very cheap 6.
  4. BassBoy1978

May 16, 2001
    Thanks for the tips concerning the truss rod. I contacted the seller to find out more. He said that he lives in New England where the weather changes daily and has never had a problem with the neck tho his "Warwick fretless is another story altogether." Also he said when he uses heavy guage strings it hasn't changed the action and it's "still lower than the ones you find in Guitar Center off the rack."

Here's my question. I was burned on ebay once [for a power amp from a dj if you can believe it], but if this guy was just unloading the Pedulla, why would he have mentioned the truss rod in the first place? Can some people actually be trusted? If we can't trust other bass players, who can we trust?

You're right, jbass. It is a KILLER deal. I went to Guitar Center last night and you can't get one for less than $2500. I may just have to take my chances. Even if it goes as high as $1200, it won't be too much to replace the truss rod if I need to and I'll have a brand new Pedulla then. I don't think that's a bad deal at all!

Thanks again!!!
  5. jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I know of a used one that can be had for probably $1700 + shipping that is just about new, but ots not a maple top its zebrawood. Its a bit of a darker sounding bass, but still very nice. The guy bought it new, played it in the studio for about 2 months, left it in the case 90% of the time and traded it back in on a keyboard.
  6. BassBoy1978

May 16, 2001
    Thanks for the info! Tho I think $800, maybe $900 I can swing. I really don't think I can hit $1700, even if it's brand new.

7. Call Pedulla back and ask how much to fix the problem. Get a rough idea and then add that on to the price of the bass. He is right the weather changes constantly here in NE, and I have only had my Pedulla neck adjusted once of twice in the ten years I have had it, but it is a 4 not a 6. The six has more tension on the neck.

Either way you should have the option to adjust the neck what ever the weather.
  8. nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    Buy that bass..... its cool and its a great deal. Good luck
  9. I have a 4 string Thunderbass. It is absolutely fabulous. I would expect a 6-string to go for at least $1500 though. The only Thunderbass sold on ebay in the last month was a 5 string for $1375.

The sound of this bass is in my mind, the sound of bass. Really a total dream. As a sort of added bonus, they just reek of quality and craftsmanship.
  10. BassBoy1978

May 16, 2001
    Thanks, c-ba55. I went back to Guitar Center and played a 5 string Thunderbass they had. It was incredible. Fortunately, the auction is still at $800. I contacted the guy again. He must think I'm psycho, but he's very patient and takes the time to answer all of my questions. He's guaranteed that the neck is not a problem and will let me return it to him if I'm not happy with it. Thanks again for all your help!
  11. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    Ditto on what GruffPuppy said.... To me, the problem with the truss rod is a BIG red flag. You don't know if the seller (and/or the guy who sold the bass to the seller) doesn't know anything about truss rods OR the truss rod is shot. I would assume the latter, and factor in the cost of truss rod replacement. The problem is, unless the truss rod is easily removable, like Rickenbacker, it is a MAJOR repair job, and will cost mucho bucks.

For an item of this cost, I would be very nervous about the truss rod. Since the seller has said it doesn't work (I think the exact words were something like, "it can't be adjusted") he has an out if the truss rod is in fact shot, and you are stuck with it.

It sure is interesting though, how many people have bid on the bass!!!