Pedulla thunderbass / thunderbolt ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Mar 14, 2002.

1. So.. i've discovered that the pedulla thunderbolt & thunderbass are in fact very affordable in Germany ( resp. $ 900 and $ 1200 ).. this is like a dream coming true to me.. i've always wanted to have a pedulla and now's a very good opportunity for me.

Unfortunately.. i've never heard a thunderbolt or thunderbass.. i've only heard rapture's and buzz'es, ( which all whooped mayor butt by the way :D )

so.. does anybody have experiences with pedulla thunderbolt and/or thunderbass ?

any soundsamples ( songs by other ppl with thunderbolt / thunderbass also welcome ) and pictures are very welcome !
    ( pedulla homepage has only small picture :( )
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thunderbolt is one og my favorite 5 strings I've ever played, hands down. It played like a dream, even after sitting in a GC for months on end. The B, even with a 34" scale was tight, punchy, and warm, the electronics (can you say Thunderguts?) were amaing, and it has a neck that's not thin, not thick, and incredibly fast. Still one of my favorite basses of all time.
  3. please do tell me more :D

the electronics.. if i'm not mistaken it has passive pickups.. with a pre-amp that has only 1 EQ-button ? that's pretty unique... and what is that switch for ? how do you describe it's sound ? to what bass can you compare it's sound ? how about comfort ? neckdive ? what strings do you use on it ?

tell me dude ! :D
  4. i currently have Richard Cocco strings on my ibanez.. they really make it come alive..
    they're handmade in USA strings, real high-quality.. but a tad expensive in europe.. you pay about $ 75 for a 5-string set over here..

i really wonder how they will sound on a thunderbass.. [​IMG] [​IMG]
  5. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Re: R. Cocco Strings.

I was told a few years ago that R. Cocco retired, and if you find any of the NOS you are very lucky. They were the best strings by far, the only thing that comes close are DR's
  6. I have a Thunderbass. Good lord, it's nice. here are some pictures.

It sounds very sweet. Not sweet as a synonym for nice, but sweet as in saccharine. Yet substantial. It's really deep and clear. Sustain is approximately forever. Overall, it's a really dreamy bass. The switch kicks in the thunderguts! I'm not sure exactly what that does besides have a cool name. Something like switch the pickups from parallel to series maybe? Net effect is to add growl. It is not passive, there is a battery in there. The one tone knob doesn't really do too much for me. Pedulla says you have to use the tone knob and thudnerguts switch together along with the pickup blend, and you can get all kinds of tones. I can get basically just this one incredibly gorgeous tone, and this other rich growly tone. But even when set on "growl" it doesn't cut through as well for me as a bolt-on. If the music has some space to it, and you can luxuriate in bass tone, and hold some notes, this bass is awesome.

I have some nickel strings on it, but I actually forget what brand. Of course, the nickel accentuates the smoothness.

In limited experience with the 5-string models at Guitar Center, I actually liked the Thunderbolt B-string quite a bit better than the Thunderbass.

Since I have a 5-string Rapture J-2, which has the 5 strings and a super-powerful EQ, I rarely use the Thunderbass except for myself. Hence, it is for sale. $1500 with OHSC.
  7. Ay caramba !

that is one hot bass ! :D

Say you don't happen to have some samples, do you ? :)
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a T-Bolt fretless with NTBT electronics and Thomastik Jazz flats. The mwah of this bass kills. It's much more growly than my Lakland 55-94 fretless, but that might be because of the strings. See below.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's a shot of the Gruesome Twosome of fretless wonders.