Pedulla Thunderbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Dec 29, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, anyone out there playing a Thunderbass? What do you think of it? Are you happy with it? Does it do what you need it to do? How would you rate it, in terms of playability and sonic flexibility? Does it compare to a Roscoe or an F bass, in terms of the quality and craftsmanship? If you could choose one of their 5 string models, which would you prefer, the T or the ET model, and why?
  2. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    They are awesome. But in my honest opinon ont as awesome as an MVP/Buzz wich in all of my years of playing are IMHO some of the best basses made.
  3. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I play a Thunderbass ET5, Very sweet instrument...

4. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    I can't really say about a Thunderbass (neck-thru) but I owned a Thunderbolt (bolt-on) ET-5 with Coco-Bolo top. It had the meanest-punchyest B string of any bass I've ever played. Build quality was right up there with the best of'um. I also owned a MVP-5 and MVP-4 which were also nice but I prefer the Thunderbolt body style, feels more comfortable to me. While the MVP-5 sounded nice it didn't come close to having the super mean sounding B that the Thunderbolt had. I hope to own another one some day ;)

BTW, that's a nice one your lookin' at :bassist:
  5. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Mmmm.... is that a redwood top?

6. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    naw, ... bad angle photo sorry about that.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've got a T-bolt 5 fretless that rules. It's got TI Jazz Flats on it, and it just growls like a leopard, or something.
  8. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    That's going to be too tough to resist. Sounds like it's time to go back into "economy" mode again (you know, like having an "economy" in basses - as long as there's some coming in at the same time the others are going out, there should always be one available to play when it's needed). :)

So I'll probably be selling a Mike Lull P5 and one of my Roscoes (check eBay), and later on I"ll probably get rid of another F bass, as well as an MTD-535. The one I'm really starting to like at the moment is the GFC ("George Furlanetto Custom"), it's a lot like an F but it's heavier and a lot meatier sounding (if you can imagine what the "P bass of F basses" might sound like, this would probably be it). Not as thick and dense sounding as an Alembic tough, it retains the "open" flavor of the F sound. Nice bass.

So I need that sound for the progressive stuff, and the growlier sound (that descends into a purr) for the jazzier stuff, and I'm covered for about 90% of our recent gigs. Hopefully the Thunderbass will contribute in the second category, and who knows, with any luck there might be some fringe benefits in the first as well. Pedulla definitely makes some nice basses, I've owned several Pentabuzzes over the years and they've all been great instruments. They also seem to take a slightly more scientific approach to their sound than some luthiers do, which I appreciate too (it's okay to derive a bass through trial and error, but in that case the trick is to be able to get reproducible results when you try to make the same bass the second time). :D
  9. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Pretty good sales pitch :) Roscoe ... sadly thats the exact amount of my tuition this semester. Darn education, Otherwise id be the first to bid. Oddly enough the pics of the Mike are not showin up. Mike Lull
  10. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    i love the look of these basses but havent been able to get my hands on one what kinda of feeling does it have? is it fender jazz bass type neck?
  11. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I'd say it's a thin flatish neck...pretty comfy.. but that's just my opinion!
  12. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    The Thunderbass is an awesome instrument - nice growly bite from the custom Bartolini preamp that they put in there. In passive mode, it's definitely a vintagey J sound, but when you hit the toggle switch, look out...

Also, they balance quite well on a strap (zero neck dive in my experience) and are comfy to play for extended periods - 3+ hours a night in my experience.

The necks are definitely unique - thin and with a "V" shape to it that reminds you that it was carved by hand to be just right...

13. I reallllly like the Thunderbuzz, (I imagine the Thunderbass is similar) before I got my current Carvin I wanted a fretless six thunderbuzz. I haven't played the MVP basses but from what I've heard (wedding bands, etc) they're awesome. Tons of that Mwah that we all look for so much. They feel real nice too.
  14. Since I have a couple Thunderbass 5 owners on this thread...maybe you could answer me this:

How much should a used (good/not excellent condition) Thunderbass ET5 will all the bells go for? Ballpark please.

I'm in the market for an new bass and am looking for a high-quality, used, active electronics, 5 string.

I found one the other day for ($2000) and am wondering if it's too much or a fair asking price.

Any help would be great.
  15. :)
  16. You should be able to find a mint used ET5 for around $1500 on ebay, and around $1800 from a dealer.
  17. I have a Thunderbass and although it seems to be a top notch bass, I can't get nothing but low end rumble out of it. I can't dial in any treble. I have no plans to get rid of it. In fact I want to get a Pedulla Rapture 5 and call it a day. There didn't seem to be anything to adjust inside the cavity box.

If there is something I'm missing please fill me in.

Attached Files:

18. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The only thing that bothers me about mine is that the pickups are "springy". They're set up so they're "in the range", at a certain height from the strings. But they "bounce around", in other words, as you're playing, occasionally you can push down on a pickup, and it'll bounce down and then spring back up. Does yours do that? If so, did you do anything about it? I want to "lock in" my pickups so they don't bounce around. I don't like that clicky sound when I'm moving around fast with the right hand. I like to change "rapidly" between slap and fingerstyle, and the bass has an awesome sound in both areas, but those darn pickups get in the way sometimes.
  19. My pickups stays in place, so far. I raised up the front pickup for a little more thump. My battery/control box is not lined with anything accept its painted black. I thought it would have a foil lining like the R Bass I had.
  20. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i have loved every Pedulla i have had the opportunity to play in stores. i found a couple of bad eggs in a local GC. They looked like bad repair jobs. i sent an email to Pedulla to let them know. i recieved a reply back from the saying that they would investigate. the following week the bad eggs were gone from the GC.
    Mike Pedulla takes great pride in his artform and it really shows.
    Preventer likes this.