Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla Thunderbolt 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brianh, Sep 12, 2005.

1. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    Hi,

I just picked up a used Pedulla Thunderbolt 6 string, from about 1993. I paid $800. The neck needs some adjusting (no bid deal...) and the tone knobs are a bit bent, with a slight hum when the midrange is cranked. Otherwise, it seems pretty cool. It's not my main bass, just my first 6 string.....

Anybody have some opinions on these basses? Or, maybe even an opinion on the price I paid?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a T-Bolt 5 fretless, and it's a monster. Tone that kills and mwah to go with it. I think $800 is a pretty decent price for yours if the finish is in good shape. What color is it? You know, it doesn't exist without pictures.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Fantastic basses. I had a neck through 6 that I never should have sold. The thunderguts switch is a great EQ curve for sitting in a rock mix.

4. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Congrats on such a good buy. I got $1100 from Guitar Center when I sold my Thunderbolt 6. (I think I lucked out here with the price! They didn't even want the case!).

6 Strings wasn't for me but that Pedulla sound is just the ticket, so I ordered a new ET-5 Thunderbass with the money from the sale.

I got an email this morning from the man himself and that bad mama should be in on the 20th!! This is going to be a long week ;)

5. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    I paid $800 for it at guitar center. The electronics are a bit rough (but fixable). The finish is in good shape: its black, with black hardware. I

must say it's ugly...but I'm not going to be using it live much, just arorund the house to write with...I think I will always stick to my F bass BN5

6. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    It's Painted? BARF! I do NOT like the painted Pedullas look (Rapture's excluded). Rosewood or Maple finger board? What color hardware (PLEASE tell me it's chrome ;) Still I'd take one any day as a beater, especially for the price you paid!

What's up with the electronics? I know that after awhile, the pots on mine got a little scratchy but a little WD-40 took care of that. When you say you get a "slight hum when the midrange is cranked." Perhaps you have after-market electronics. I do not believe that Pedullas are available with a midrange control. (Other than the Thunderguts switch)

Post some pics if you get a chance. I'm always eager to see a Pedulla.

7. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    the bass is completely black, even the harware. the fingerboard is rosewood. it's a black bass, and it's ugly...but who cares? It sounds good! Like I said, I probably won't use a 6 string like much, since I really prefer my 5 string F bass for almost any gig.

It has bartolini pickups and to my knowledge the standard preamp. I think there is probably a ground connection lose or something....I know it can be fixed.

The only thing I'm concerned with it the neck, which is bowed a bit. I am waiting on Pedulla to send me a truss rod adjuster......

8. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    mbulmer, what exactly do you mean by "that pedulla sound." I've been playing the same MVP-5 for six years and have found it be completely versatile in terms of tone. I've found that those p/j bartolinis can produce just about any tone I could imagine.

9. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Hey bassfriend, we need to see your bass!!! ;)
    Congrats!

10. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Bartolini pickups, custom Bartolini preamp, stainless strings, soft maple body. These things definately color the sound of Mike's basses. He chose these options specifically to give his basses a signature sound. That aside I definately agree that the basses are versatile but they are full of their own character as well, though I can't speak to the PJ setup as I have not played one of the PJ MVPs or Raptures.

11. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Yeah I guess you're right. Anyway I didn't mean that as a critcism of my bass, I could only ever say great things about my MVP and Pedulla in general.

12. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    This is too funny. I was trying to convey that I wasn't criticizing Pedulla as having only one sound. After re-reading my post I saw where it could come off like that. I'm in total agreement that I have nothing to complain about in regards to Pedullas.

5 Days Left!!!!!!

13. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    [​IMG]

14. I just ran into a Pedulla thunderbolt 6-string for not too much (about $800) and was wondering if there's a large difference in the current thunderbolts and the one made in the early nineties. The one I'm about to buy is from '92 and I was just curious if there are any major differences between it and the current basses, or if there are any known problems with series from those years.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  16. Not sure your reply was directly at me, but the one I'm buying is definitely a different one, it's blue and it's in the Netherlands :) Still, I'm just wondering if there are any large differences in current Pedullas and the one made about 10 years ago.

17. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I think he was referring to the original poster. Looks like he got the dreaded lemon Thunderbolt.

18. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    The new Thunderbolts have the independent treble and bass controls.

19. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
  20. Ah, that explains why it has an extra knob :) For the rest pickups and electronics are more or less the same I presume?