1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedulla Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgartist, Jan 12, 2005.

1. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hello All!
    I am the proud owner of a Pedulla Rapture J2000 5 string. I've had it about 3 years. It is by far the best bass I have ever laid my hands on. I am now considering ordering a 5 string Thunderbolt. I prefer the bolt-on sound over the neck-thru. I also prefer a maple fretboard. In all of my searches, I have never seen a Thunderbolt with a maple board. I've searched the Pedulla site and they do offer the maple board. I will e-mail them to get their opinion on wood choices, but in the meantime I would like any feedback you may have on this matter. And please, PICS if you got them!!

2. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Go for it! I had a Thunderbolt ET-5 with Coco Bolo top, Rosewood board, passive controls, and it was a killer bass. Sure wish I still had it but at the time G.A.S got to me and I traded it off :crying:

I've only seen "one" Thunderbolt so far with a Birdseye Maple board and it was just a few weeks ago on eBay. It was a Beauty! Birdseye Maple board, Maple body, Maple neck, Quilted or Flamed Maple top (can't remember which but it was nice looking). The whole bass was basically Maple. I almost went for it but then decided I didn't need to spend that kinda money on another bass right now :D

3. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I've owned both a Thunderbolt 5 and a Rapture 5. Both were great basses.

The Rapture was more "jazz-ish", if that makes sense, while the Thunderbolt had more punch and was "darker" tonally.

The main reason I sold them was the string spacing (I got used to a Jazz 4 string spacing (18 mm), and my Pedullas were 17.5 mm. It was just a little too tight for me)

On another note, I would NEVER buy a Pedulla new. They are super basses, but for some reason, the resalse is garbage on them. New they are around $2,800, but you almost can't sell one used for over $1000 (which seems weird to me).

Here are some not so great photos of my former TBolt:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/junk1...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Don

4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Ask, and ye shall receive. Here's my 2002 Thunderbolt. AAA Vintage Cherry Sunburst/Birdseye Maple Fretboard/Black Hardware. I bought it new. (Just like I did with my 2004 Pedulla Buzz). I have no intention of selling them, so I don't care about resale. BTW, my Thunderbolt kills.

Attached Files:

5. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the replies. My Rapture 2000J 5 has the wide 19mm spacing - one of the biggest assets (aside from the light weight and tone). I did get it in mint condition off eBay for $1200 and I'm glad for every dollar I spent. I would prefer to buy a used Thunderbolt 5 with the maple board if I could find one. Especially because people who buy basses of this caliber tend to take very good care of them. I did try one with the birdseye maple body top and a rosewood board. It was really sweet but I missed that extra bite of the maple board.