Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgartist, Jan 12, 2005.

1. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hello All!
    I am the proud owner of a Pedulla Rapture J2000 5 string. I've had it about 3 years. It is by far the best bass I have ever laid my hands on. I am now considering ordering a 5 string Thunderbolt. I prefer the bolt-on sound over the neck-thru. I also prefer a maple fretboard. In all of my searches, I have never seen a Thunderbolt with a maple board. I've searched the Pedulla site and they do offer the maple board. I will e-mail them to get their opinion on wood choices, but in the meantime I would like any feedback you may have on this matter. And please, PICS if you got them!!

2. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Go for it! I had a Thunderbolt ET-5 with Coco Bolo top, Rosewood board, passive controls, and it was a killer bass. Sure wish I still had it but at the time G.A.S got to me and I traded it off :crying:

I've only seen "one" Thunderbolt so far with a Birdseye Maple board and it was just a few weeks ago on eBay. It was a Beauty! Birdseye Maple board, Maple body, Maple neck, Quilted or Flamed Maple top (can't remember which but it was nice looking). The whole bass was basically Maple. I almost went for it but then decided I didn't need to spend that kinda money on another bass right now :D

3. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I've owned both a Thunderbolt 5 and a Rapture 5. Both were great basses.

The Rapture was more "jazz-ish", if that makes sense, while the Thunderbolt had more punch and was "darker" tonally.

The main reason I sold them was the string spacing (I got used to a Jazz 4 string spacing (18 mm), and my Pedullas were 17.5 mm. It was just a little too tight for me)

On another note, I would NEVER buy a Pedulla new. They are super basses, but for some reason, the resalse is garbage on them. New they are around $2,800, but you almost can't sell one used for over $1000 (which seems weird to me).

Here are some not so great photos of my former TBolt:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/junk1...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Don

4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Ask, and ye shall receive. Here's my 2002 Thunderbolt. AAA Vintage Cherry Sunburst/Birdseye Maple Fretboard/Black Hardware. I bought it new. (Just like I did with my 2004 Pedulla Buzz). I have no intention of selling them, so I don't care about resale. BTW, my Thunderbolt kills.

Attached Files:

5. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the replies. My Rapture 2000J 5 has the wide 19mm spacing - one of the biggest assets (aside from the light weight and tone). I did get it in mint condition off eBay for $1200 and I'm glad for every dollar I spent. I would prefer to buy a used Thunderbolt 5 with the maple board if I could find one. Especially because people who buy basses of this caliber tend to take very good care of them. I did try one with the birdseye maple body top and a rosewood board. It was really sweet but I missed that extra bite of the maple board.