Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla trans-charcoal finish ... any pics?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm thinking about a Pedulla ThunderBolt with a trans-charcoal finish over AAA birdseye maple. Anybody out there have a picture of this finish (even if it's over flame)? It's for my wife's 20th wedding anniversary, but I get the bass.

2. Here is my former Thunderbolt 5. If it looks like a Bass Palace photo, that's because it is. But I promise I really owned it!
    [​IMG]

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hmmmm ... looks like you had the natural back on it. I've got a hunch the picture doesn't do it justice. Why'd you jettison it?

Here's my existing fretless 5.

[​IMG]

4. Actually, the top was less than spectacular for what was supposed to be a AA. It had barely any figuring at all.
    By contrast, I had a TB6 in AAA; I agree with that rating a little bit more:
    [​IMG]
    The 5 had the alder back, like you said, and it sounded really growly. It was my favourite bass at the time, but then I discovered Brubaker....
    [​IMG]
    Still dig the colour.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Any others? Any opinions as to whether this is a good idea?

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'd definitely have to see an example first, to me it seems like charcoal finish would cover up too much of the birdseye. I think black over flame works very well, but birdseye might just come off as "charcoal with dots".

7. Funky sold me that charcoal-finish Pedulla 5; it's now for sale for $995 at Guitar Villa (not on consignment; I traded it to them straight-up, so I have no financial interest here).

The bass definitely did not have the most stunning figuring (for a stunningly-figured Pedulla, check out the red one at Basspalace.com, which was also mine). Sounded and looked great, though. I do think the charcoal obscures the figuring, but it looks really cool anyway. . .

8. I used to repair furniture for a living and it was a NoNo to put a dark stain on a wood where u were trying to highlight the grain of the wood unless there was a lot of contrast in the grain. A spalted maple might be able to take it but i wouldn't do it over a flame or birdseye.

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Interesting, the black bass I own has very, very pronounced figuring. Seems to work just fine for me. ;)

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Looks like Carvin has had good luck with it too. :D

11. both the dark basses in this thread do not appeal to me over the lighter ones at all, strictly color preference not to say i wouldn't take any of those basses in a heartbeat. I'll Give u that both pictures are probably not all that close to what they look like in life but still i just can't see hiding all those nice waves under a black cloud .

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I saw a black/charcoal Pentabuzz on ebay a while back. I thought I saved a picture of it, but all I seem to have is a thumnail. The figure looked great! I saved it because I wanted to see if I could get my Pedulla refinished in that color. But someone pointed out that it might not look so great with gold hardware, & I really can't see the point of getting it all changed out just to match a new motif.
    It was a great finish though, looked really nice.
    If you feel like squinting at the tiny thumbnail, I'll attach it here:

13. Wowzer! The figuring on that one is incredible!

Mike 88T is right in that the figuring underneath a gray/black tends to disappear onstage.

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Like I said, it works great for me. You can see mine in dark lighting!

I'm not an expert in finishes, but I think it's just a precision thing to be able to get the right shade of grey/black to make the wood figuring come out correctly. Modulus ALWAYS has great black finishes, as does Spector, Roscoe, Carvin, etc and that Pedulla looks mighty fine too. IME, it works better for quilting rather than flaming, because the difference in color in the figuring is what makes it stand out, and the quilting is usually deeper. The right piece of wood probably "figures" into the finish working, too.

I do agree, however, that it wouldn't look very good with Birdseye. Solid quilted maple, however, would be gorgeous!

15. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey Munjibunga, what do you have as fret lines there on that fretless?

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I just painted them on with white-out ... it takes some VERY careful masking to get it just right!

OK, here's an alternate answer. I think Pedulla uses white plastic for the fret lines. They come that way if you ask for it.

17. Lets say I get drunk one night and wake up the next day and I have a fretless bass and a bunch of frets stuck all over me.
    So now I figure OK the scary part is over, now what?

From posts I have read and an article in BP I should fill the lines left from taking them out (it seems from looking at My frets that the profile is sort of a Mushroom shape so I assume I will have very THIN grooves left in the Fingerboard) unfortunately the local luthier forgot to send me anything to fill em with, I probably should have bought him a drink HAHA. Anyhow so I don't feel like going anywhere to get some real supplies to finish it properly, can't find my keys or my car for that matter, but for some reason I feel like restringing the bass and making loud noises. So can I just restring and play without filling in the grooves? Also what else can U fill em with besides the plastic? ANnnD another thing, do the filling materials have to be sanded down flat to the fingerboard and if so with what? ANnnnD another thing, if i sand the board do I have to do anything to it afterward.

Well I can't really think of anything else to ask but I feel like rambling a bit more so I'll just keep writing stuff like this aimlessly for a few words more.