Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla: Truly incredible

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeLorean, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Like many others, I have been very pleased with the instruments I have bought from Pedulla. Great playability and sound with the bonus of good looks, and I can testify that top notch customer service needs to be included in that list of positive attributes. I currently own three Pedulla basses (a Hexabuzz, a fretless RBJ2-5 and a RJ2000-5). Without going into too much detail, a problem crept up with the necks on the Rapture basses (serial numbers almost consecutive). Not what I expected to have happen, but understandable that once in a while the wood will offer a surpise. My dealer/luthier and I were unable to solve the problem, so the basses were sent back to Rockland MA. That leads to where the amazing customer service comes in. A few minutes ago I recieved a phone call from Mr. Pedulla himself, letting me know that he is shipping the basses back today with the problem resolved. This is one week from when they were put on the UPS truck to head back to him, and not via any express shipping option. He told me what he had to do to solve the problem, and it involved a fair bit of work. Absolutely stunning customer service like this needs and deserves to be spotlighted. I already held Mr. Pedulla and his company in high regard, but now... Well, I don't even know how to express it.

I have a couple other basses on order (a Lakland hollowbody and one of the watercured redwood burl Spectors), I think I'll have to make an MVP 8 or an octabuzz (a fretless 8 could be fun...) next to get the Pedulla quotient of my little family back up... :D

2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    My bass teacher has a Pedulla that he had Michael Pedulla build with his own-Godly hands. It is probably the most beautiful sounding bass I have ever heard. J/J pup configuration, ebanol lined fretless fingerboard, and active Bartolini pups. I'll try to get a picture of it.

3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Mike, Christine and everyone at Pedulla are the best! Their customer service is second to none. I've owned a Thunderbolt 4 for about a year and a half, and it never fails to impress me whenever I play it. I had the opportunity to visit the Pedulla shop in the spring of 2003. When I met Mike he was covered in sawdust. I was impressed with the fact that even though he's been at the top of his game for over twenty five years, he's still a "hands on" kind of guy. I will be ordering a Rapture J2 fretless (with the coated board) in a month or so. I can't wait! :D

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    here's a question...

ever since i first played Pedullas they have been my favorite. in fact i am saving for my first one right now. It seems that lately though, when i go into a GC, i cant find one that is built or setup correctly. Either the action is too high or it is so low that the open strings buzz. There is one at a nearby GC that looks like the body wings were glued on after the bass was carved. in other words, the joinery at the base of the neck and the cutouts doesnt match and it looks as though someone filled it in with clear silicone adhesive. doesnt stop GC from putting a 2,900 dollar price tag on it though.

i havent been anywhere else to play a Pedulla, so am i experiencing a GC issue or is Mr. Pedulla actually releasing them into the wild like this? Its hard to see these fantastic basses hanging on the walls without being setup properly and misrepresenting the quality that Pedulla is known for.

One day i will have a Thunderbass and there is no way that i am going to let it go through the doors of a GC if this is the norm.

5. I would have to say that what you are seeing is a GC display issue. I've seen 5 other new ones come in beside my own, and all were exquisite. I've also seen an MVP 5 on a GC's wall that looked like it had been carried through a war zone by frontline infantry for a couple months, but was being sold as new. I use a local shop that is a dealer for almost all the instruments I have come to like (Pedulla, G&L, RIC, Lakland, Spector, the only one not on the list is Benavente), the displayed instruments are guarded/cared for and if the display instrument isn't the one you want the order is easy to get placed. The guarded comment doesn't mean you can't play them, it just means abusing them isn't an option. The stuff on GC's walls gets abuse, it is just part of the way the stores (at least the ones I've been in) are set up and run. The front page of Pedulla's web site addresses this very issue, they can't control how the instruments are handled once they ship them out (but do let them know about the problem...).

It looks like GC is the only authorized dealer in VA, but hit the Pedulla web site and let them know what you are seeing. http://www.pedulla.com If you were in central Ohio I could help you find a very dangerous GAS station... :p

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Email to Pedulla sent. thanks for the tip.

7. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I gotta say a Pedulla is one of the best sounding basses I have ever played, but the Buzz bass doesn't do it for me in the looks department, even though it sounds incredible.

8. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Thats really awesome. The better their customer support is, the more i keep GASing for one. I'm saving up right now. They sound like real high class guys.

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    The only Pedulla I've owned was a Rapture-5. I sold it many years ago, but when I bought it there were some glitches in it's finish. I figured I could buff the problems out myself, but I called Pedulla to find out what type(s) of compound to use. Bret Carlson( I think that was his name) insisted that I send it to them for a look. The bass was shipped back promptly with a perfect finish.

Pedulla's customer service and dedication to their customer's satisfaction is outstanding. They're the best bass company I've dealt with yet.

I have'nt forgotten this, they'll have my business again when I can afford a Penta-Buzz.

Congrats on your good as new bass. :)

-A.P.

10. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i think they arent as odd as some. at first i didnt like them, but once i played on, it didnt matter what it looked like anymore. i want one in each color. HA