Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla Volume knob or Tone knob

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hoffman6000, Mar 8, 2005.

1. I have a Pedulla Thunder bass with Bartolini Pickups. The knob closest to the neck is more of a high-end roll off than a volume knob. Is this supposed to be a pick up control knob or is my pot shot?

sincerely,
    the annoying guy who has to tell the monitor guy to mute my bass between each set

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

Apparently that bass has atypical controls and so is not going to seem to respond in a conventional manner. I doubt there's any problem with the bass unless someone's jacked with it.

It can be confusing which is blend sometimes. A blend can appear like a volume or tone control.

When I have a bass I don't know what the controls are, I first turn all knobs off. Then turn up one at a time till I get output. That's obviously a volume knob. Tap on each pup with an allen wrench to determine the pup putting out. Turn that knob back off and repeat the process till I get output again. If there's output, it's volume to the other pup (and tap on it to make sure). If no output is forthcoming, I know I have one volume control and a blend (if two pups). To determine the blend, with the known volume knob up, turn the other knobs one at a time till I output from both pups (tapping on them). The rest are tone controls - barring somethng atypical.

Alternately, you can just pop the hood and look if it's not a rats nest.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The knob closest to the pickups is the pickup blend control. When it's to the far right, you're on the bridge pickup, and when it's on the far left, you're on the neck pickup. In the middle, there's probably a noticeable upper midrange cut, but that's just because of the "phasing" (blend) of the pickups. If your control isn't behaving this way, you may have a loose wire, or a problem with the electronics. The knob closest to the "neck", vertically speaking, is the volume control.

4. I E-mailed Pedulla M.V. and got a speedy reply saying it is a volume knob that must be defective. I thought it might be a blend, but it seemed to just cut the highs and volume down a bit. If it would be a blend, I would get a boost in the lows when swiched to the neck pickup. Thanks for the input guys.

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    weird. on my thunderbass the knob closest to the neck is the tone knob.