Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Just went to Guitar Center yesterday to get my bass setup. Waited for about 20 minutes and tried out a few basses...and then it hit me...the sound of a Pedulla!

I believe it was a Thunderbass (it had 4 or 5 knobs, i can't remember), and the tone was got a really awesome growl and deep, bassy gospel tone (my favorite tones :D). I would definitely get one if i didn't get such a good deal on a Yamaha TRB-5!...I may just drop a Bartolini preamp in there. Way to go Pedulla!
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They're made nice and sound nice, but...I just don't like the V-profile of the necks.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Not all Pedullas are like that.
  4. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    no one ever talks about this company. i own a pentabuzz and love it. it sounds awesome, looks awesome, its just an awesome bass. but no one likes them it seems. i don't know.....last i heard GC stopped carrying Pedulla Pentabuzzes and the raptures.
  5. Yeah, Pedulla sucks... They should probably lower their prices since they suck so much!

(Actually, I just really really want a Pentabuzz) :)
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I really dig the Thunderbass 5 w/ the 19mm string spacing. In fact, it's still one of my favorite 5's I've ever played in my life. The B, even on the 34" scale was amazing. And trip the ThunderGuts switch? Get outta here. Talkin butter man.
    And, to make matters worse, I fell in love with a Lined Pentabuzz at Bass Central. It was the single most fun I've ever had playing a bass in my whole life, I kid you not. It's gonna be in my lineup eventually.
    Even the Raptures hold my attention. Pedulla makes such high quality and great sounding gear, it's sad that they don't get much recognition around here, or much at all. Pedulla can endorse me ANY time. And I even like the colors!
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Their loss.
  8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I bought my first Pedulla in the 1980's from a pawn shop. It was quite a day as I got a cherry burst Buzz in mint condition and a very nice G&L L-1000 for $400. I've owned at least one Pedulla since then and currently have a Hexabuzz with soapbars and a Pentabuzz with J/J pickups. Killer fretless basses.

9. I like the way that the pedulla's feel, but the tone wasn't versatile enough for me. It seems like they do the old school punch tone very well but that's it. Of course that might have been the old strings on the basses at guitar center.
  10. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I shudder when I think that a GC bass might be the only impression some have of Pedulla. It's sick what some of those basses go thru. I don't know that you could really judge by a specimen that's been subjected to those conditions. Still, I guess every brand's got to turn out a stinker now & then...
    But I loves Pedulla. Every one I've ever played was stupendous! I'm hooked. Sometimes I almost think there's TOO MUCH tone lurking inside.
    I'll always own a Pentabuzz, no matter what comes or goes...

Should we turn this into one of those "SHOW ME YOUR PEDULLA, I'LL SHOW YOU MINE" threads???
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's one of the things that I love about my Rapture 5, the soft V profile of the neck. Feels so comfortable to my small left hand.

The tone of it is pretty good, standard 2 band 2 J bartolini fare, the B string is very good for a $1200 34", and I absolutely love the 19mm spacing at the bridge.
  12. aw c'mon Jeff.. stop it.. you're getting me all aroused with all that talk about the Rapture.. :D
  13. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    NO pedulla has a very very very good reputation!!!! i just mean no one ever gives them credit or not many people on TB owns them or wants to own them.... I just don't see much "media" on Pentabuzzes I guess.

The company and the basses are phenomenal!!!!!!!!
  14. Pedulla, what a light weight piece of junk.
    Buzz bass prrrrrrrrrrrtttttt.
    Thunderbass oh I am scared.

GC still carrys them, who knows why the 3 near me have had the same ones for years.

I will tell you about Pedulla Basses.
    After ten years and ten other basses my Buzz is the only one I will never sell.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wow. Quite a bit of Buzz fans here! Good to see such a rightous instrument getting some dues!
  16. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Last time I was at dreaded GC they told me they can not order the pentabuzz model anymore. They say they no longer carry them. The kid was like, "See that code next to the pentabuzz and rapture? That means we can not get them anymore" ehhhhh, uhhhhh, thanks man. :confused:

the GC near me had a greenburst and a blueburst pentabuzz (2!!!). Both of them got sent to another GC across the country. The green one had the "old" logo and the blueburst actually had the "new" Pedulla logo! Plus that one was fretted.

But yes the pentabuzz needs its dues! I'm glad there are others out there that dig the pentabuzz. Its an incredible fretless bass! Ok it may be overpriced but the quality is there.
  17. The GC closest to me has a used Rapture, thing plays pretty sweet but they want $1300 for it, kind of high I think for the original single pickup model.
  18. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Somebody has a mint condition Pentabuzz for sale over at the Dudepit. He's asking $1500 which is a bargain. There is also a 4 string Buzz for sale for $950 and that is a great price also.