Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedulla's ET finishes

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hey again all,

Here's question #2:

I'm wondering if you can speculate as to the components of the finish that Pedulla uses on it's ET basses? Their website lists it as this: "Satin oil/catalyst urethane (natural)."

I like my ET6's finish as it looks and feels like a nice natural oil finish, but seems to be harder and more protective, almost like a satin poly. I'm sure their actual mix and process is proprietary info., but your thoughts on it are appreciated...thanks!

-bc-

2. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Huh, I thought I'd posted something like this a while back.

So, I'm still wondering about a comparitive, off-the-shelf product that would come close to matching Pedulla's natural finish for the ET thunderbasses. Figured I'd give this a bump to see if anyone might have some ideas. I did find this at Woodcraft.com, but haven't used it before (at least, not yet):
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5189

3. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    I don't know about your particular bass, but I've heard that the epoxy used on Pedulla Buzz basses is Diamond Kote, which is commonly used in the auto industry. I can't confirm that, however.

4. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

I'm pretty sure you're right on that one. I should have specified that the finish I was referring to was the body-finish :)