Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Sep 4, 2000.

1. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Yo Yo YO!! I went to Guitar center today.. and I saw this pretty shnifty Pedulla 5 string... well.. i only SAW 5 strings.. no 4s.. anyways.. the action on it was sooooo low!! i was like OH MY GOD!! it was like 5mm or so above the frets!! is that normal for a Pedulla? I mean, the bass was nice! I plugged in to a Ampeg 400watt amp etc.. and i DROOLED.. it was a nice price too!! I think it wa slike $1299 for a brand new Pedulla.. but does anyone know about the actions? are they always that low? and seconds... do Pedulla make 4 strings? or they only make 5.. the B string was a little floppy

2. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    What model did you play?A Rapture?
    Yes they make four strings
    Every time I play one at a guitar center or other store,they are always set up way low.And always have light,dead strings on them.
    I have the very first Rapture5 ever made.It is the exact one from the Bass Player magazine review.I love it.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mr Gump, you knew I'd be right behind you on this one! :D

Most Pedulla's are set up with very low action, but, if it is too low for you, it is easily adjustable, just like on most wood necked basses, tweak the truss rod and the bridge a little, and set the action up for your personal taste.

Three words of warning:

• Don't let Guitar Center do this!
    • If you've never done this yourself, either practice on a junker or pay a real tech to do it for you(NOT GC!).
    • GC is notorious for not including accessories with new basses, Pedulla's are supposed to come with an owners kit, which includes an owner's manual, cleaning instructions, and a truss rod wrench.

If they don't give you the kit, you can order one from Pedulla's website for $20.00.

I have a Rapture J2 5 string, the only complaint I have is that I wish they made a 6 string version of it!

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Pedulla does an exceptional job on their fretjobs and their fretless fingerboards as well. I presently own my 4th Pedulla and the 5th is on order. I favor the "Buzz" basses and own a Hexabuzz with soapbars and have a Pentabuz with Jazz PUs on order. I'm addicted!

5. I too love Pedulla's and have a four string MVP.
    Great action and sounds.
    One of the best instruments I have ever owned or played.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

Have you been completely happy with the finish work on all of your Pedullas?
  7. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    i mean.. these actions were lower than you would ever thing.. u just SLIGHTLY touch the fret.. it makes the note.. lol LOTS of buzz.. but it sounded AWESOME!!!! I want one. i want a Zon doh.. :) wanna try the Graphite neck thing.. no tross rod.. *drool* :) Yes I know Modolus and other companies do it too. but i have this favor for Zons :) If i do get a Modulus.. I wanna get that Vintage Fender Jazz Bass copy :) with graphite neck... the tobacco burst, rosewood pickguard.. u know that type :)

8. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    A well known Luthier who makes $10000 jazz boxes, does my set ups and he said the tool is unique to Pedulla.And not easy to find,if thats true about GC,and I wouldnt doubt it,get the tool.
  9. Mr Socko

Mr Socko Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2000
    You can get the tool from Mike Pedulla or from the Stewart Macdonald guitar parts catalog. Its got a square socket opening on the end. In the Stew/Mac catalog they sell it to tune banjo heads. I had a Thunderbass 5 for a while. Sold it. Awesome bass, just didn't work for me. Good luck.