Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peer-Mediator Forum

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by frankencow150, Apr 20, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I think this would be a good idea,mainly because alot of people here often post in off-topic saying things like "i just got dumped by my girlfriend,what should i do?" or "im real depressed,im not sure what to do" or "should we kick our gutarist out?he's been acting weird lately...".I just thought this would be a cool idea.

Also,most members are either in their teens or middle aged people.I think the adult would be able to help the young'uns with their problems.Just a thought.Thanks.

2. I agree. Good idea. I've been to these teen-help boards...and it's pretty sad. All you see is "hEy I aM 14 aNd I hAd SeX wItH mY 36 YeAr OlD bOyFrIeNd AnD I tHiNk Im PrEgNaNt." crap. And I know the folks here are intelligent beings. So it might work. If not...just delete the board.

3. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Yeah it is a very good idea. I think alot of people could benefit alot from it.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I agree. I have a lot of problems, and am depressed a lot. I have already found a few people that I have been PMing who have helped me with some of my "issues". I think many people on TB have good advice, and know what I, as well as many other people, are going through. It would be good to be able to have a place to talk about and give/get advice on problems, music related or not.

my $0.02

Nick

5. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    it's a great idea but it should probably be a sub-forum for off topic.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    it's talkBASS people, talk/bass...

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    No disrespect meant Dave, but if this was meant to be about basses only, the I doubt that there would be an off topic forum. I makes no sense.

Nick

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with Dave - we need less of this kind of stuff, not more! :rolleyes:

We need more Bass-focused stuff - I mean people come here because it's a Bass-site - surely there are enough of these general chat or agony aunt sites out there on the Web?

If this site turns into a baby-sitting facility I'm sure it's going to put off the sort of people who are likley to pay to be supporting members. Do we really need to encourage more people who are never likely to pay their way as they are too young to have credit cards or any way of supporting the site?

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    With all due respect, can't say I'm up much for the idea. Off topic serves it's purpose - if we start getting into specific forums that aren't bass related it could get a little nutty.

Women's issues, cars, gay related issues, teens only, over 30 club, bald headed people unite, etc....

There's lots of internet resources for all dat udder stuff. I think the idea of talking bass here.

10. I've got to agree. Keep it bass oriented... that's why I'm here!

11. I think it would be a good idea. But not on talk BASS. One off topic forum is more than enough. Last I checked, OT had almost as many posts and threads as basses. And OT has way more posts and threads than any other forum.

Besides, if you really need meantal or emotional help, the net is the last place I would go look. If you need help about basses, go to Talk Bass.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this is a very good point - I mean there is no way that you can expect that people around here, adults or no, are in any way qualified to give advice or help like this and what sort of disclaimer would be needed?

So - what if some minor does something stupid like take an overdose or beat up a perceived enemy, because of advice received on here? What would stop their respective parents suing for obscene amounts of money when they found out what had happened? :(

I think it's a very bad idea!

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Right on. Even if someone really, really, really wanted to look up these things on the web, there are other sites put up by people who specialize in these matter.

14. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Darn,I thought I had a good idea going for a bit...

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I agree with bruce and dave. I was a peer-mediator at school, and i didn't have a problem listening to other peoples problems, but the others did. There aren't many people other than the people w/ problems that would benefit.

16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i like the idea..ill help out anyway i can

bp13

17. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Exactly. Go talk to your parents, kids. This is TalkBASS and we already have one off-topic forum.

18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    that is hard for some kids to do because parents will give opinions...but most of the time....the kids will just see the opinions as wrong....they need somone their own age that they feel comfortable talking to...and also there is no risk that word will leak out, if they tell a friend....they might accidentally leak the problem out

bp13