Pegasus Amps Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jammer1995, Feb 15, 2003.

1. jammer1995

Dec 22, 2002
    Hey just a quick question, a local music store has a used Pegasus Pro Bass 2x10 cab and a 1x18 cab I'm interesting in getting (working on a budget here) but I can find very little info on it so I'm asking for your help.

All I can find is they seem to be a decent cab that uses delta eminance speakers...but..the store is saying each cab is 4ohms...I looked up the delta's on the net and they are supposted to be 8ohms..sorta need to know if the cabs are any good to start with and then if anybody can give me the proper ohms rating so I know what sorta amp to buy if they turn out to sound good when I test them on Monday. (2ohms or 4) I already did a search and couldn't find anything about this. I'm 1/2 newbie 1/2 up to speed with such things.... anybody help me out please? :meh:
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    A pair of 8 ohm 10's would give you 4 ohms; pretty common config for a 2x10 box.

The 18 I would normally expect to be an 8 ohm driver, but if you dig around you will discover that Eminence makes the occasional driver in a different impedance. For example a driver with an "a" suffix is 8 ohms, "b" indicates 4 ohms and "c" indicates 16 ohms. They don't offer these to the public in all cases, but if you are buying 500 drivers as a cab maker I'm sure you have lots of these choices; they just glue a different voice coil on the cone.

I've never heard of Pegasus, but if they uses a known driver, you can measure the box and ports and figure out what they are doing.
  3. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    A few years ago I ordered a Pegasus 4x10 factory-direct. When it arrived, it looked like the box had been through a world war. The packing was very poor and not only were the drivers loose, but the grill was hanging by a screw, the side of the cab was cracked and the casters were broken in through the bottom of the cab! Needless to say, it sounded like a pile of crap (and it looked the part too). The company send a box back for the cab and shipped me a Mesa Powerhous Jr cab as a replacement (they received it on trade??!!). The Mesa was great and it really turned me on to their other products. As for Pegasus stuff, well, you may just want to check out Avatar instead. Here's the url anyway. Good luck!

Pegasus Amps