1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pegbox Falling Off

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by PonchoTheCat, Jun 13, 2018.

1. PonchoTheCat

PonchoTheCat

Jun 13, 2018
    I was wondering if this bass would be worth fixing, or how you would go about fixing it. The bass fell over and the pegbox looks like it is falling off of the neck.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    It looks like this happened before and was repaired badly. Anything can be fixed, but this will be tougher than had it been done properly the first time.

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    It's worth fixing if it's a good bass. The gears lead me to think it is, but what can you tell us about it? Good pics would help.

gnypp45 and salcott like this.
  4. dperrott

dperrott

Oct 3, 2005
    NYC
    You have to consider the condition of the fingerboard too. If it has no great historical significance might be better to do a new neck and fingerboard

Phil Rowan likes this.
  5. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    A neck-graft could salvage the scroll and have essentially original strength. Depends on how much you want to spend: That would be probably two or three days work for me... counting glue-drying time and varnish retouch.

6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Broken pegbox, two giant breaks along the top, probably lot more issues......I'll never understand the obsession with these broken down fragile pieces of junk. By the time you are finished you'll have invested wayyyyy more than it will cost to find a good condition functional bass and you'll be carrying around a six foot tall eggshell.

Phil Rowan likes this.
  7. But what if it sounds GREAT? As opposed to functional, I mean..