1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

peizo pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hookha, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    peizo pickup
    someone can give me explaintion what is it?

2. Its a pickup under the bridge that makes your insturment sound accoustic.

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's a pickup that responds to changes in pressure. It's usually placed in the bridge saddles or under the bridge, though on acoustic instruments it may be attached to the soundboard/top.

Piezos are the most common pickups for acoustic instruments--they are sensitive to the vibrations of the body as well as the strings--so that's why many people feel that adding a piezo pickup to a solidbody electric instrument can make it sound "acoustic". That's not exactly true, but it can give a sound that's closer to the amplified sound of a typical piezo-equipped acoustic instrument.

Mike

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  5. kid_squanto

kid_squanto

May 5, 2006
    so if i get a piezo put in my bridge, it could make my bass sound more like an upright?

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It feels a little weird to be quoting myself...

7. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    I'm using RMC piezos on a gotoh bridge. They add brilliant highs and warm lows to my 2 magnetic pickups. It also adds a little more nasal tone to my overall sound when it is turn on. IMO, i like it cos it amplifies my ghost notes much more than the mag pickups would.

As for becoming closer to being an upright, i think it will be more applicable if it is a fretless instrument.