Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peizo PU's and small combos...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Aug 21, 2003.

1. I'm wondering if this is true for all basses with peizo PU's, or whether my semi-acoustic Godin is just an exception here? My A4 fretless cannot be used with most small 8" speaker combos... I tried it with Peavey's Microbass and the sound broke up on just the A string! Same thing with SWR's LA-30 cube also; the LA-30 sounds fantastic with a Sterling Music Man bass, but put the Godin's peizo's on it and you cannot use the A or E strings at any kind of volume past a whisper!
    And yet the Godin's PU sounds great on an SWR Workman 10 or a Hartke KB12, at all volumes!

I did finally find one small combo the Godin's peizo did okay with, and that was Hartke's inexpensive (yet effective) B-20... Seems Hartke builds it's Shape Control (a non-adjustable version here tho), into the B-20, and this evidently allows the peizo PU's to be played at a reasonable volume while still maintaining good tone!
    Strange? -Or have bassists here encountered this before?
    Greywoulf