Pennsylvania Bassists Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, Mar 27, 2011.

1. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Lancaster, Pa
    The news showed the bass player. I bet that camera person got fired. Haha

PockySteve likes this.
  2. harley_ou812

harley_ou812

Sep 30, 2001
    Lebanon, PA
    Where at in Lebanon and Shermans Dale? I live in Lebanon and head out to Marysville quite a bit.

B-Mac and marko138 like this.
  3. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    The Church in Lebanon on August 28 and Shermans Creek September 4. We're also playing Johnny Joes in September and the West York Inn in October.

B-Mac, PMagers and Jason Hollar like this.
  4. It absolutely warms my heart to see how much this has grown since I started this 10 years ago.

A lot changes over the course of a decade. I have since moved to SC, bought a house, matured a lot, started playing bass at church a few years back and played with a few different bands.

It’s funny where life takes you. I look back at some of the discussions I’ve created on TB as a young teen who just got started with bass and making music. Definitely face-palmed at a few of them… But hey we all grow up at some point right?

Anyways, I got a lot to catch up on this discussion board and so many bassists to check out with different music you’ve all been making.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    B-Mac, jmac, marko138 and 4 others like this.
  5. this is trash upload your other band

=D

marko138 likes this.
  6. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    I visited Erie last week and went to World of Music for the first time in about 25 years.

Good news is they are still there. Bad news is the prices were pretty high, IMO.
    For a sample of interesting bass gear (to me at least) they had the following, but I thought the prices were up there:
    Used G&L SB-2 Tribute: $499
    Used G&L SB-1 USA: $999
    Used 70s Ampeg B-15 (blue/silver grill cloth version): $1,999

I hope they do well as they are, seemingly, the only independent music store in Erie anymore, but with prices at this level, it will be tough to compete with Internet stores.

B-Mac and CallMeAl like this.
  7. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Hey, those are some pretty good specimens! The problem I find in my area with brick-and-mortar is limited selection. Even the massive House of Guitars in Rochester (NY) had mostly Rumbles and Fender basses to try. I’ve had a few sour grapes with buying online recently, and don’t mind paying the premium to get to try stuff first.

I just bought a (guitar) practice amp at my local store and they had it priced $10 higher new than other online stores. I coulda bought one used online and saved like 40%… but was happy to support them. I payed them simply for being open for me to go try it out first. Hard for any business to survive brick and mortar these days.

B-Mac and CTBassGuy like this.
  8. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Good to see gigs are coming back, albeit slowly.

PockySteve likes this.
  9. B-Mac

Did you start an SC Bassists Club?:)

10. ColonelZulu

ColonelZulu Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    65513769-B201-4E13-94C1-D856B686E910.jpeg

B-Mac, PockySteve, PMagers and 2 others like this.
  11. B-Mac

Going to see Jon Anderson tonight in Phoenixville, PA at the Colonial.
    No idea who is playing bass for him.

Jason Hollar and PockySteve like this.
  12. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Jazz & Cocktails Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    Nice! I’m playing a reception in Malvern lol

Jim Kernan, PockySteve and B-Mac like this.
  13. B-Mac

Glad to see local gigs coming back. I hope Delta doesn't put us back in lockdown.

Jim Kernan and Jason Hollar like this.
  14. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    First show for me that's not in someone's back yard since March 2020 is going down this weekend in Lebanon. I'm pretty fired up to get back on stage.

PockySteve, DwaynieAD, B-Mac and 2 others like this.
  15. B-Mac

Recently went to see the Brubeck Brothers Quartet this past Saturday in Reading, PA for the Berks Jazz Fest. Had front and center seats.
    Chris Brubeck was playing his Fretless Ric 4001 with tapes. He played mostly above the last 2 frets and other times over the bridge pickup. I've never ever heard an electric bass get that close to an upright sound (and I've been to a lot of jazz concerts).

I have a much better appreciation of his playing AND the sound that a Rickenbacker 4001 fretless came make. It was an awesome show.

IMG_6889.JPG
    IMG_6888.JPG
    7A597DE1-4CBB-469F-AB59-ADB66D9F3B6F.jpeg

16. Would you please tell your booking agent that Cumberland and perry counties exist

marko138, PockySteve and B-Mac like this.
  17. One time they put me in a magazine cuz @marko138 and the rest of the band were on vacation. Haven't heard from that writer since.

marko138 and jmac like this.
  18. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    HAHA! I remember that.

19. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Cumberland county coming up in November. You better be there.

20. B-Mac

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021