Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Penny for ur thoughts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gram, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Gram

Gram Guest

Jul 15, 2004
    Im ready to get a instrument, the Bass seems cool cuz like everywon I kno just plas the guitar, but heres my concern is the bass always back round musik or dos it ever stand out in musik, the guitar usually gets most of the attention in a band. dos the bass ever stand out and become more than back round musik

2. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    1) spell better :D
    2) you can make whatever you want out of the instrument, there is no set way to play it.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I think he's European... Gram, what kind of music do you listen to?

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    All bassists are uninspired followers that pound the root note because they don't know how to play guitar. We suck.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Seriously though...bass can be a lead instrument. Traditionally it is not a lead instrument but critical to driving the song and holding it together. It's as complicated and lead driven as you want it to be.

Another consideration, one that kept me at bass....easier to get gigs as a bass player. Guitarists are a dime a dozen.

6. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Espically living in a college town. I swear everyone and their mother plays guitar. And i noticed they all play it the same (for the most part). With bass there are always different styles.

I have always said that if you see a really good guitarist you don't really think much of it, but when you see a really good bass player your jaw will drop.

7. Gram

Gram Guest

Jul 15, 2004
    sorry for my spelling I was in a hurry,and I live in canada, and I like heavy metal punk rock, pretty much anything if it sounds good but I think you get the idea.....But another one of my concerns is writeing songs, this is probably gonna sound stupid but w/e :) can u make a good bass song on its own Im just worried Ill end up haveing no say in songs because im the bass :scowl: ....but who knows maybey Ill find a way to tune it different and make a new out standing sound ;)

8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    If that's the way you like playing bass....as a lead instrument...then you should start your own band, or make it clear you want to play a large part in the sound.

I'm assuming you have heard them, but Primus is one such band where bass is the lead, everyone else just kind of fills in.

It can be done, it's just not so common.

9. BlasphemyArise

BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    I thought the same way when I was looking at playin an instrument but just like everyone else has said, make it what you want it to be. If you want to sit back in the shadows go ahead but if you want it to stand out make it that way. :)

10. Realize that bass is extremely important in a song. Even if someone comes up with a melody, you play a huge role in the mood and texture of a song, depending on the choice of notes you play, how many notes you play, and how you decide to play them. For example, drums aren't lead instruments by a long shot, but they have a large impact on the feel of the song too. So even if you don't always create the melody, your part is just as important and there are many ways you can manipulate songs. Or you can just be the lead! :D

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    A band is comprised of members, & they all fit together. If you want more of a role, than the traditional, boring as bass-lines,,, talk to your band mates. Just make sure you can throw it down, before you pimp the idea, or else they might push back on ya!

12. You don't want to hear my thoughts :scowl:

13. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    The easy response is "the bass is whatever you want it to be" I imagine the people who tell you that are either experianced and good enough or way artsy fartsy and would tell you the same thing about a lamp shade. My 2 cents I am by no means a seasoned musician, but for me its about having fun and making the songs the best you can. I play in a power trio so we got one guitar, one bass and drums. Yes, the songs are mostly guitar based, I can't just copy the guitar line it just does not work so its up to me to fill in the rest of song and at times establish the rhythem. In that capacity the bass definately stands out. The drums are citical for us too, but that is outside of this conversation. I think that in larger bands with more intstruments you do find that the bass takes the back seat when it comes to who stands out the most, but you know what? Thats what the music call for. If you want all the attention pick up a mic and start singing. Or go solo. Ultimately it is up to you, but start with what you can do now and have fun with it.