1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pensa Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Ce, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Whaaddup!!!

I've got a question, has anyone out there familiar with Pensa Basses. I have not hear much about these basses if there anyone to whom has either play one of these or even owned one?

Since I have been playing again I have been working on learning as much about basses as I can so that if I am asked a question I'll be well informed. Any info you could shar would be great! Thanks in advance.

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
  3. dabass

dabass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    I have a Pensa 535J, one of the nicest basses I've ever owned, played, heard......Check out Basses Electric Acoustic Juan has 2 nice ones.....or check out Rudy's Music in NYC...

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I had a 80's Koa Pensa-Shur P-bass.
    With P J pickups.
    Rosewood fingerboard.
    Badass bridge.
    One of the nices basses I've ever owned.
    I still kick myself for selling it.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    funny, but i was thinking the other day that most of the guys i see in NYC all seem to be either carrying Sadowsky or Pensa. strange but true. :eyebrow:

but i love the pensa's. killer jbasses with an equally great sounding preamp in that fatter than fat sadowsky like sound. the highs on the Sad pre are more my speed, more gloss and articulation, than the Pensa's airyness, but let your ears be the judge.

6. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I have played the Pensas on display at Rudy's. They play nice, but most of those seem to have body damage issues. Nothing big, just the kind of dings that make one pause paying three bills.

7. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    what are the prices like? and do they use franlin single or hums?
    thanks

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    most of them are used, arent they?

9. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    There was a Pensa P bass on e-bay a few months back. The thing that confused me was it had a single split pick up but stated to have two volume controls. Any idea what this set up is for?

10. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City

Some appear used, but most are new - I think maybe ordered ones that weren't picked up or that were returned.

I also don't care for their finishes, I have see new dings happen they way they keep them stored at Rudy's

Usually $2800 and up.

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Pensa's are killer basses, Rudy and Jesse are friends of mine... plus one of my dealers.

12. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I had a 535J for 2yrs.Great Bass